We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone for Rounders?

England
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone for Rounders?

We are really getting in to baseball (watching it nightly on cable in the UK) and would love to go to a MLB game while in LV in September. Options appear to be a trip to LA Dodgers or Arizona D-Backs late Sep, but wondered about whether to bite the bullet and drive (ugh) or fly.

If we do fly, which is the most convenient field from the airport and what are my options for getting there and back? Is a taxi feasible or would it be better renting a car for the day - happy to stay overnight at either LA or Phoenix.

Next question: Would it be better to book flights when we are in LV, or book in advance?

Next, next question. Is there a good MLB alternative nearer LV to get our fix?

Thanks in advance.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

"Next question: Would it be better to book flights when we are in LV, or book in advance?"

Do you know any airline anywhere that doesn't charge more as you get close to the date?

So you know, there is a team in LA (Dodgers) and one in Anaheim (Angels). Between the 3 teams, hopefully at least one of them will be at home the dates you want. But check schedules to be sure.

As a baseball fan, I will tell you that there is a good chance that the Dodgers and Angels will be playing meaningful games in September, as both have a chance to win their divisions. This means the crowds will be lively, but also tickets may be harder to get. The Diamondbacks are probably not going to be contenders, but at least tickets should be easy to get.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

Book in advance if you want lower fares, if you dont care book when you are there,

Not knowing your dates you have several options only and hour flight away.

San Francisco Giants (Fly to SFO)

Oakland A's (OAK)

LA Dodgers (BUR)

LA Angels (SNA)

San Diego Padres (SAN)

Id decide based on who each is playing.

Best atmosphere is either Giants, Angels or Dodgers.

The Las Vegas 51's play in Las VEgas and are a minor league team, but its nothing like going to a MLB game

Id go to a Fri or Sat night game for best night atmosphere wise.

San Diego is probably the easiest because the airport, the Stadium, many hotels and tons or bars and restaurants are all downtown, but the team is not the best however if you go when they play a good team the stadium is fantastic.

England
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

OK. Both Arizona and LA Dodgers are at home on Sunday 28 Sep, which is the day I am looking at. D-backs play St Louis and Dodgers play Rockies (if that helps the decision process!)

Ktinca, hear what you say, but what are the odds for stand-by on a Sunday (do they still do standby?)

Edited: 20 June 2014, 22:39
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

I would avoid LAX airport for this adventure.

Either fly to Orange County's John Wayne Airport and see the Anaheim Angels.

Or fly to Phoenix and see the Diamondbacks - Phoenix stadium is an easy walk from downtown hotels.

For either airport Southwest Airlines has a lot of flights.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

Stand by? Thought that was for airline employees, friends, and family only. It's near impossible to get on standby out of Vegas on a Sunday, as I've tried it with a buddy pass. Ended up having to go to Burbank, then Phoenix to get home.

If you come to Phoenix, you can take the Air Train to the Light Rail station and that will take you all the way to Chase Field. If you stay downtown, you won't need a car, and can take the same route back to the airport.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

Oh, and tickets to the D Backs are very easy to get.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

One more thing, no one here calls baseball 'rounders'. You will confuse people if you call it that. We just call it baseball.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

If only the Dodgers and ARizona are home go to the Dodgers.

As I mentioned above fly into Burbank not LAX

England
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

Boxing John. Sorry, just an "in " joke in the UK - and not really very funny.

Next thing, you will be telling me that it's called Soccer, and not Football!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone for Rounders?

You are talking about the last day of the regular seasons. This means games will either be meaningless or crucial. If crucial, tickets may only be available on the secondary market, unless of course you want to buy them now.

The best place to watch a game would be San Francisco, which has a great ball park. But it isn't the easiest to get to, and will be sold out that day.

The Oakland Colosseum is pretty close to the airport, but I'm not sure how to get there by public transportation other than a cab. Even though they will probably win their division this game may not sell out, as they usually don't.

Arizona and San Diego would be your safest bet for ticket availability.