We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Hi , just wanted to some feedback. Trying to book flight from VEGAS-LAX however I will have a couple of bags prob 23kilos x2 bags or close.. I am wanting information which airlines offer the best deals with bags included.. Just an idea would be great..

It just seems to work out cheaper to do a separate flight back to VEGAS instead of including it in flight from SYDNEY AUS - LAX..

any help would be appreciated..

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

I suggest you consider these issues:

1. If you make a single reservation, you benefit from the generous Trans Pacific baggage allowance for all legs of your flight; you don't if you make separate domestic US reservations

2. Have you navigated your way around LAX? It can be somewhat daunting and time consuming moving from one terminal to another. If you have a single reservation, the airline will assist you

3. In the event of flight delays it can sometimes make a big difference having a single reservation

On the other hand, making a separate internal flight reservation may save a few dollars, although with your estimated baggage weight, I suspect you would have to pay for significant excess baggage...

Bon voyage!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 02:48
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Southwest has frequent daily non-stop service between LAS-LAX and allows for 2 free checked bags.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Here's the LAX terminal map:

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…20Map.pdf

Remember: with separate reservations, you need to collect and recheck your baggage...

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Southwest Airlines allows 2 checked bags and one carry-on per person without charge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

Agreed, Southwest is the best domestic option with that much baggage. You need to book directly through their site as they don't allow third party bookings.

However if it's just a simple SYD-LAS return, I would book on a single ticket for all the reasons mentioned in the first reply.

Level Contributor
112 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

I've got the same issue travelling Syd > LAX> Vegas and booked with Southwest because of their baggage limit. Also allow a couple hours (around 3) to get out of LAX, clear customs, get your bags and then find the terminal which is right at the beginning.

Level Contributor
112 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

BTW I also asked the guys at the terminal how to get to another terminal and they pointed me towards those private pick up/hotel courtesy buses who were more then happy to offer me a quick (2 minute ride) around the terminal for a tip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

thanks everyone for your advice

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

As a matter of interest, I noticed another interesting thread on this subject...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7370843…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas- La flight baggage allowance

We booked Bris - LAS the first time we flew but the connection times are a bit odd - either too close if you have any delay on the long haul flight or way to late.

The last 3 times we have booked Qantas or Virgin Bris to LAX and booked Southwest for the internal LAX-LAS-LAX flights. Cheaper, better connection times, and we have no trouble dealing with luggage. In fact, we found it much more stressful when everything was checked through. In that case, you still have to go through customers and immigration in LA so we didn't see any benefit. At least if we grabbed our bags, went through the formalities, and then took them with us to re-check then we were reasonably confident the bags would travel with us and end up in the right place.

Mind you, for our next trip in October - which will be #5 - we have perfected our packing and will be taking carry on only. Nothing to do with the check in process but all to do with wasted time in airports waiting (and hoping) for your bags to appear. 9 nights, 13 rolled shirts, few pairs of shorts, undies, spare pair of shoes, toiletries and sleepwear. We will travel in jeans, carry a jumper.

SW terminal is the furthest point from where you will land and depart in LAX. There are free shuttles but we choose to walk (and we're not great walkers I have to say). It's an easy 10 minute walk. Exit Tom Bradley terminal - you will be at the bottom of a U shape. Turn left and follow the U to the left top. Easy.