We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

My best friend and I have been going to Vegas annually just us for the past few years and for many years before that with larger groups. We ALWAYS have the best most fabulous time (which is why we keep going back!). That said, I’d say we may be in a rut in that we always seem to do the same things (because we had so much darn fun there the previous times around!) As usual, I’ve planned our 5 night trip but trying to be more spontaneous – trying is operative word here as I’m not great at winging anything. So whilst this may seem quite “planned” for me the number of TBDs is an achievement in itself.

So, asking for review here as I really want us to try and do some different and new things.

Day 1 – arrive mid-day. Limo from airport (new – usually a car or taxi) to the Encore. Will try $20 trick for the sole purpose of trying to get a room FAR away from the noise of the Encore Beach Club below.

Roy’s for dinner (new). My friend is a very fussy eater and only eats plain food but loves steaks. I’m a lot more adventurous so wanted somewhere she can eat a filet and I can’t eat something besides steak. TA reviews were pretty good.

Rock of Ages (have done, but loved so doing again!)

TBD after - Not sure what to do. Thought to try Gilley’s as we usually do Toby’s place at Harrah’s. We did the Bourbon Room last time and that was fun. We’ll see where the night goes unless anyone has a great suggestion here.

Day 2 – Encore Spa treatments during day (have done but again loved and didn’t want to try a new spa as we’ve already done a few and this is our favourite).

Evening downtown (new – haven’t been for nearly 10 years). Stratosphere for 107th floor lounge (and maybe a SkyJump – DEFINITELY new) and then downtown to eat and gamble. Will do new zipline down Freemont street. Thinking Nic & Anthony’s or Hugo’s for steak but don’t want to book – not sure if we can just get in on a weekend night? Will stay and gamble – will probably hit El Cortez as don’t think I’ve ever played there.

Day 3 – Easy day TBD. Maybe Mon Ami Gabi for lunch – burgers! This is a usual but skipped last year and I missed it so we’re going again. Will pop over to Linq as that’s new for us. Shop, whatever.

Evening TBD! Have booked for drinks/nibbles at Mandarin Bar. NOTHING booked for dinner as I can’t make up mind. Want somewhere nice and classy but also FUN. All the while keeping easy menu for my chum. We used to do Voodoo Steakhouse and then spend most of evening at Voodoo Lounge and Rio gambling. Last year it just seemed tired and I’m ready to move on.

Day 4 – Day TBD and then concert at night. After concert is TBD – will just “wing it”.

Day 5 – Chill out day – pool possibly. Thinking an early afternoon buffet – Wicked Spoon or Wynn? Then out in the evening wherever – did duelling piano at NYNY last time which was good fun.

Day 6 – Go home.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on changing up or where to go on TBDs? Promise its not to plan it but to keep it in my pocket in case we’re wandering around for something to do!

Thanks in advance.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

And here's my current "cheat sheet" of what I've collected thus far on TA over the years.

Restaurants

Roy''s

Vic and Anthonys Downtown

Olives at Wynn (Patio seating)

The Buffet at the Wynn**

Ramsay's burger place at Planet Hollywood

Jazz Sunday Brunch at Wynn

Wicked Spoon for Brunch

Aria - Todd English Pub

Delmonicos at Venetian - Emeril's steakhouse

Bouchon in Venetian for breakfast/lunch/brunch

Clubs/Lounges

Hyde at the Bellagio

Hakassan at Ceasars

Fontana Bar at Wynn

Ballys, Paris, Venetian all usually have good cover bands in their lounges

Duelling Pianos at Ceasar's

Drink places

Mandarin

Bourbon Room (place we were at after RoA)

Gilleys/Treasure Island

Tobys place at Harrahs

Things to do

Vegas Extreme Skydiving

Indoor Skydiving

SkyJump Las Vegas at Satrosphere

Slotzilla on Freemont street

Linq Ferris Wheel

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

Is your cheat sheet things you've already done, things you wnat to get one day, or things you want to try this trip?

There is a lot of planning here. If your Downtown night is Saturday and you don't want to make reservations, I would recommend you try Vic and Anthonys. The wait at Hugo's would probably too long.

Why would you go to MAG for a burger? You do realize that there are now many restaurants that specialize in burgers?

Of all the items on your cheat sheet, I would recommend the Jazz Brunch at Country Club Grill. But you will have to make reservations.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

Thanks Ktinca - yes, Cheat Sheet is either things done or may do. Its just places that look good or interesting that we may want to try (or have tried and liked).

Re: MAG - their blue cheese burger is the best I've had. I love it and I love the setting - sitting in patio area watching the fountains.

Open to new suggestions though - had Gordon Ramsay's place on list?

Chi Town
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

Me and my gf have done the Skyjump...it is a must. We still talk about it all the time.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

FYI - Hakkasan is at MGM.

I am not sure what days you are traveling. Perhaps consider a pool party (aka day club) on your chill out day if that sounds appealing and it fits into your schedule.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
769 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

I like that you have left to be determined on part of your trip. I find the worse vacations are well planned out ones..you work all year in a structured time frame..do this..do that..feed kids..laundry..punch in..whatever that when you are on a holiday/vacation it is so less stressful to play it by ear. It it;s calling out to you, do it. Have fun. Sleep when you want, go where you want when you want. being on a tight schedules makes you feel tight and stressed and at the end of the fast paced trip..you are exhausted and don't feel you saw what you wanted to see. Hope I made a little sense here. Have a blast you guys!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

I like that you have left to be determined on part of your trip. I find the worse vacations are well planned out ones..you work all year in a structured time frame..do this..do that..feed kids..laundry..punch in..whatever that when you are on a holiday/vacation it is so less stressful to play it by ear. It it;s calling out to you, do it. Have fun. Sleep when you want, go where you want when you want. being on a tight schedules makes you feel tight and stressed and at the end of the fast paced trip..you are exhausted and don't feel you saw what you wanted to see. Hope I made a little sense here. Have a blast you guys!

----------------------------------------

I could not agree more with this! While I like to have a "few" things planned, I love having the freedom to just see where the day takes me!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

Thanks guys! I know the planning bit isn't for everyone - I can totally appreciate that and almost envy if that works for you. But if I don't have an idea or some sense of what we're doing and when it actually stresses me out considerably. Trust me, I'm much more chilled and relaxed when stuff is somewhat organised - otherwise I can be a bit of a witch the first time I can't get a decent meal in a nice restaurant because I didn't book.

I'm trying but I've been traveling loads for many many years and always enjoy myself more when I've done my homework in advance and map out a lot of what I want to do.

9. Re: Trip Plan July 2014 for 2 Best Friends in Vegas - Review pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:17