We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

Just returned from Las Vegas from another trip over the 4th. I have been to LV dozens of times but have only become interested in some of the "finer" experiences over the last few trips. Anyhow, I have been wanting to try the Steakhouse at Circus Circus for the last year or so (based on so many positive reviews) and finally made a reservation for this past Saturday...

I did love the ambiance of the facility and have nothing but positive things to say about the service, BUT I just did not feel like the steak itself was anything special. I had the bone in rib-eye and honestly did not think it was any better than an Outback steak..(it certainly was not as good as a meal at Charlie Palmer back in February)

I guess my question is: is it possible that my steak was just a "bad apple" and most food is on par with the glowing reviews I have seen. Or is it possible that people want to like the place and taint their reviews to the experience they want to have?

My goal here is not speak poorly about the Steakhouse, but to gather information on what other really think about the place.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,672 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

I think part of the appeal, the uniqueness of the place is that it's out of character with the generally run-down dumpy quailty of the rest of the property.

BTW, I had a similar impression in another steak place that's talked about favorably here; the Flame in the ElCo. Solid, probably a higher level than the rest of the property would lead you to believe, but not even close to the same league as the top-tier steak places (which are admittedly 50%+ more expensive).

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

We've been before,, we just feel( for the Vegas strip,) this is a good value meal. Everything is not ala carte and it is kind of an old school restaurant. Many other places are $38-$56 just for your steak, then add on sides,,, it gets high real fast (price). We go for 11-14 days at a time on our visits , so we have to find value meals, throughout the trip. And thinking back on our last visit , two of our party ordered the Prime medium rare, and it was late--- 9 ish,, and they were disappointed. Too over done. But in general , I just consider it a good value place !

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

You are correct in your impression. The Steakhouse at Circus Circus is a good middle-of-the-road steakhouse with an old school feel that easily outshines it surroundings. It is the beneficiary of people having low expectations and then being able to exceed them. Put that restaurant in most any other strip property and it wouldn't survive, much less win the praises it does now.

4. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 00:35
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

I enjoyed my Rib-Eye and the fact that it included sides instead of paying for them. The service was top notch as well, we were on a bachelor party and were a bit rowdy but they treated us very well. The quality of food and service won me over, the fact that it was an affordable option on the strip was a bonus.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

I think it is. My experiences have been fantastic every time I have been there.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

I have not eaten at the Steakhouse at CC, so I can't comment from personal experience. But I'm aware that they serve choice steaks, whereas most of the top tier steakhouses in LV serve prime. So, the steaks are not the same quality as places like SW, Prime, GR Steak, etc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

It was the last time I was there about 5 years ago, ate the a half dozen time every time it was good.

Have not been back for no reason other than just have not been back.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

I think of CC's steakhouse as a good value rather than a "best steak I ever had" kind of place. Some folks here recommend Ellis Island when an inquiry is made about where to get a good steak, so of course, it's all relative.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steakhouse at Circus Circus, Is it really that good?

Of course much of the delight of those trying this restaurant is due to it's shock value. You don't expect anything decent at Circus Circus.

The CC Steakhouse has been around a long time, and it compared favorably to the Steakhouses of it's day. It is on par with House of Lords at Sahara, William B at Stardust, Steakhouse 46 at Flamingo, Binions Steakhouse, etc. And it probably still compares favorably to the Cortez Room at Gold Coast.

But dining in Las Vegas today has transcended to a higher level. As have the prices. It's not on a par with the Steak restaurants that have opened in Las Vegas the last 10 years. But it's not from the same era.

As long as you realize this, and have realistic expectations, you can see the value there.