We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

Hi

I'm thinking of booking the Grand Canyon South Rim tour that involves a flight by light aircraft to the South rim followed by a couple of hours visiting two view points then a flight back. Could anybody answer the following:

1) is the upgrade to a helicopter flight worth the extra or will I be missing out by halfing my time at the view points!

2) who do I tip on this tour- the pilots? The bus driver? I'm finding the whole tipping thing quite confusing.

3) What time of day is best to book? Early morning or afternoon?

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

1) is the upgrade to a helicopter flight worth the extra or will I be missing out by halfing my time at the view points!

I personally would skip the helicopter option as you only have around 3 hours at GCNP - in my opinion the views from the rim are better.

2) who do I tip on this tour- the pilots? The bus driver? I'm finding the whole tipping thing quite confusing.

Difficult one when it's a package deal but I'd think $5 per person for pilot/coach driver would be adequate

3) What time of day is best to book? Early morning or afternoon?

I didn't think there was a choice but I'd go for early morning - as it heats up during the day the air can get quite turbulent which might not be much fun in a light aircraft.

London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

Thanks TomC97. I am thinking of booking with maverick. Have you done one of these tours? If so who with?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

I've not done a tour from LV although I have visited the GCNP including the helicopter over the canyon but I was there for 2 days so didn't have the same time constraints.

Lots of the tours are sold by various parties but as far as know the only companies that operate the tours are Maverick and Papiilon so I'd check out both to compare prices etc - I don't think you'll have any problems with either.

maverickhelicopter.com/tour-grand-canyon-exp…

papillon.com/las-vegas-tours/national-park-a…

R G
Western Ireland...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

Hi

My wife and I took the sweet tours to grand canyons on 10 th july 2014..the south rim. We got the bus at 6.30 and we were back in hotel by 10 pm..we stopped at Hoover dam on way. The tour cost us $ 115 dollars each...(bargain) the best thing about the drive to and from canyon was our driver "WALLY" his commentary on history of Vegas, Hoover dam and surrounding towns was excellent..can't say enough about tour and our driver

R & j

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

We've booked that tour with Maverick for a couple of weeks time and having been to the Canyon before (driving and overnight stay) I would personally say skip the helicopter as there are so many amazing views to spend your time taking in! We also went for early morning :)

6. Re: Grand Canyon South Rim Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16