We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon options

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gothenburg, Sweden
10 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon options

Me and my wife are traveling from Sweden to Las vegas Next week and have three days to spend on sight seeing with one of those dedicated to Grand Canyon. I've seen some of the post regarding West and South Rim and have a hard time deciding. I don't feel like renting a car and driving there myself.

Our options:

Spending 14 hours in a bustrip to southrim. It seems like very tiresome trip.

Taking the as some claim "tourist trap" 12 hour westrim tour with skyrim and native american performance. There's an helicopter/boat option as well, anyone have tried this?

Taking the West Rim helicopter - 4 hours which will save time but is it worth the money for west Rim?

Taking a airplane to Grand Canyon South with Grand Canyon Airlines. 9.5 hours.

Please give us some advice.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon options

I'd take last option if you can afford. Nothing beats seeing "the real thing" aka Grand Canyon NP. So much wider, deeper and more colorful than Grand Canyon West. . Actually there even isn't a west rim. Only south rim and north rim.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon options

I keep plugging these but the "Grand Canyon Grand Explorer Tour" with Maverick Airlines to the South Rim is great. They do two trips per day - early morning and afternoon. The afternoon starts with a hotel pick up at 12.30pm and drop back at the hotel is 7.30pm/8pm. Fab and professional company and doesn't eat up a great deal of time really but you get a decent amount of time at the South Rim.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon options

Depends on how much money and how much time you have. No doubt the South rim is the most beautiful part of the canyon so if you are a big scenery person then that is the place to go. I can only look at scenery for so long before I get bored so I did the West rim tour and had a great time with the skywalk and the Indians. You'll be impressed no matter which way you go. have fun

Gothenburg, Sweden
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon options

Thanks for all replies.

We thought about the picking the south rim bus with helicopter option however the I think we lean more towards the airplane options

Maverick looked good but was a bit expensive. However, I found the Papillion South Rim Airplane Tour - $124 40-50 min option. Anyone have tried this? Seems it will not go past hoverdam but we'll still get a good look at South Rim.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon options

The South Rim Air Tour looks good, but it originates at the airport near the south rim, so you would need a bus tour to get there.You would drive by the dam over the bypass bridge on the way there(whether you took a bus or your own car)Hoover Dam is a long way from the south rim, either by air miles, driving miles or river miles.

The airplane tours over the GC fly higher and faster, the heli tours lower and slower. The tours basically take the same established route.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon options

I did the same tour as Whitlam with Maverick. You will fly over the Hoover Dam, and also Skywalk (pilot pointed it out but I couldn't see it from where I was sitting). I went on the morning tour. Smooth flying going, but coming back it was a little bumpy. Had a very good time and I didn't hear complaints from anyone.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon options

I'm going to take one of those Maverick tours when I go in Sept.

Looks like a blast!

8. Re: Grand Canyon options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15