We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 people = a group at Giada's

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
8 people = a group at Giada's

So I called to make dinner reservations and said it was for 8 people. I was told that 8 people was a group and would have to go through group sales. Group sales said it would be a prixe fixed,pre-ordered menu.

Thanks but no thanks. When I choose a restaurant, I want to decide when I get there what I will eat.

I'm sure Giada knows more about running a restaurant than I do but many times I have eaten in Vegas with 8 or even 10 people. We were never considered a group and in once case were given 5 separate checks (the horror).

Will have to try it when I don't have such an entourage.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

That's weird. Just for kicks I went to Opentable and booked for 8 people with no problem. Although I didn't hit the actual "submit" button, it gave me several options for seating at Giada for next week for a group of that size.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

Troublemaker! lol

I would expect a mandatory gratuity, but not a set menu for 8 people.

"I'm sure Giada knows more about running a restaurant than I do"

Unless I am mistaken, this is her first restaurant. Although in all fairness she probably doesn't have anything to do with this policy, relying on others for help.

And of course I would go somewhere else.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

That restaurant is having a great start. It is hard to get a last minute reservation right now and they are soon (if not already) opening up for lunch hours. The shine made fade in time.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

That is odd. I can maybe 12, but 8? That's two couples with a couple of kids a piece. Hmm. Try Open Table like Irish Fan did and see if it works. You can always cancel.

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

I did try Open Table and it would let me make a reservation but it was the wrong time. I am afraid that once it hits their system I would get a call about the rule.

I did (prior to this attempt) make a reservation for two for another night and couldn't do it on Open Table but had no trouble with a call to the restaurant.

I was prepared to give them a credit card and would have been willing to guarantee a minimum amount spent but I don't want to decide today what I am eating next week.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

I'm with you on that. Dumb policy.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

Why would you continue putting an effort into this?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

That is just a nutty policy. 8 people at dinner is NOT a group anywhere other than Giada's...geez.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

Yeah, between the phone call, the Opentable inquiry and the 2 posts on TA I think sh's invested...9 minutes? :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 people = a group at Giada's

>>I was prepared to give them a credit card and would have been willing to guarantee a minimum amount spent but I don't want to decide today what I am eating next week.<<

I agree with you, and I wouldn't accept a limited menu either. A restaurant that can't serve eight different meals from its standard menu at the same time should not be in the restaurant business.