We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money Advice

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money Advice

Hi off to Vegas for a week in September and then we fly to LA for a week , looking for your thoughts on our planned spending money, worried I'll run out!

I had planned on taking about $3,500 for the 2 weeks in Vegas and LA what do you's think?

We have booked all our activities already like the Grand Canyon/Helicopter Ride/Pool Party and for LA we have booked Universal Studios/ a Tour/Baseball Game

So really all we will be spending on in Vegas is food and drink we will probably go out a few nights and go clubbing and spend a fair bit on drink which I worry about and then we would like to go to a few nicer restaurants as well such as Gordon Ramsey and Prime and maybe go to a couple of shows which we decided to buy when we get there.

Also we plan on doing a fair bit of shopping in Vegas, clothes etc cause it is a lot cheaper than back home

I'm not much of a gambler atall so I'll have a little gamble here and there but nothing major its not important to me.

In LA we have an apartment so we will cook our own food mostly which will save us I think our main expense their will just really transport.

Would be interested to see what you think, I know its a difficult question to answer because everyone is different, thanks!

Edited: 18 July 2014, 13:56
Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money Advice

It sounds like you want a quite upscale experence and when your going that far it is the only way to do it! Drinks are expensive and even if you are not gambling its very easy to spend money. It would be easy to spend all 3500 having 3-4 nice dinners, a resonable lunch and drinks during the day without any major gambling. You would be better to split the budget between LV (2500) and and LA (1000) because you could well end up with 500, 600 dollars for your second week beofre you realise it.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money Advice

You say "we"; how many people is that $3,500 covering?

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money Advice

Wow, I wish Goldenboy would take me out for dinner!....$1,000 dinner must be nice!

IMO $3,500 should be fine. Use a credit card for some of the higher priced events ( dinner at Prime, shopping at Ralph Lauren ), try to limit the clubbing to just a couple nights, everyone knows someone who's dropped $5K for bottle service in one night - don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

London
Level Contributor
751 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money Advice

Back from a solo trip last month. I took $4000 for 10nights and still watched the cash!

Jo

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,839 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money Advice

Assuming you are a couple I'd think $3500 is fine - I budget $150 for a couple of meals and $50 for incidentals like coffee and tips etc.

For two of us that's $2800 for 2 week so as long as you don't gamble a lot and keep souvenirs to a minimum then you should be ok but a credit card is handy just in case.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money Advice

Well simply put, if you take your $3500 and divide it by 14 days, that's $250 a day. It's doable but on the days you shop or want a nice meal, you will have to cut back on other expenses for sure. I never include my shopping budget in the cash I take. I shop with my credit card because it can add up quickly! I would also budget slightly more per day in Vegas then in LA since you are cooking your own meals there. So if you gave yourselves say... $150 a day for LA, that would leave $2500 for Vegas which is $350 a day. That seems better.

A lot of people on here talk about the "envelope method". That is where you seperate each day's money into envelopes and each day once the money for that days stash is gone, its gone. It's an easy way to watch the spend.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money Advice

We took $2500 to spend on 7 days in Las vegas (helicopter trip had already been booked and we had some "freebies" through Myvegas). Bought the kids some souveniers as well as ourselves and still brought 1/2 of it back with us. If you want to, you can do Vegas reasonably. Yes, a "posh" meal could set you back $400 but two can also eat well with good food for less than $50.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money Advice

I think you're going to be light on cash with the activities and expenses you're planning in Las Vegas even if you allocate 2/3 of the money toward Vegas. But then I don't know what you're planning on shopping for. If it's things like designer clothes and bags for example, you're not going to be able to do it no even $500 a day and eat at strip steakhouses and drink at clubs too.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending Money Advice

I think you will be light on cash too. In 2010 we did the Universal Studios/Hollywood/Vegas trip and let me tell you food in LA was more money then Vegas and NYC put together..it really surprised us. One day we decided to go to a supermarket to buy some things to bring back to the hotel for lunch and they were charging $10 a lb for sliced turkey! With that said I would bring more money!

Phx, AZ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending Money Advice

Depends on what you want to do. It would be easy to spend $100k in a week depending on you. It would be easy to make it on the $2500 for the week depending on you.

Tip to make the money last, stay downtown or at a cheaper CET property mid strip. I find MGM properties have a more uniform price structure so you can get better prices on food and drink at CET properties or their neighbors. Although, people say gambling odds at CET properties are not good (never checked myself, 3:2 blackjack with no gimmicky crap is all I care about).