We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

Hey Guys,

I have visiting Vegas in September (3rd until 8th) and would like to visit the grand canyon.

Do you think its better to book the tour beforehand, or should I wait until I get to Vegas to see if we can get a cheaper deal?

Also, would there be any helicopter tours that you would recommend?

Thanks

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
742 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

Here we go again--all helicopter tours of the west rim, not really the same as going to the south rim.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

See the "Top Questions" at the top left-hand corner of this page. You can also do a search on "Grand Canyon helicopter tours". This question gets asked often.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k757516…

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
597 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

Having been to both the west and south rim I would avoid helicopter tours. If you want to really experience the Canyon go to the south rim. Unless you want to drive ( and stay overnight) this will involve a fixed wing flight.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

The helicopter tours from Las Vegas go to the West Rim. You cannot get to the South rim by helicopter as it is too far away. The South rim is considered the most scenic area of the canyon. Im not sure why anyone would suggest not doing a helicopter tour because the helicopter ride is a major part of the excitement. Check out Grandcanyonwest.com for info on the West rim. You will find a ton of info on the South rim at the top of the page here. Maverick and Papillon are two well known helicopter tour companies. have fun

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

The South Rim is the Grand Canyon National Park. Helis do not go there from Vegas.

The west rim is privately owned land and a built for profit tourist trap. Know where you want to go.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,997 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

The question boils down to this. Do you want to go for a ride in a helicopter? Or do you want to see the Grand Canyon? You cannot do both from LV at the same time.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

Sure you can. You just cant see the South rim from Vegas by helicopter without driving there or taking a plane.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
742 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

"I'm not sure why anyone would suggest not doing a helicopter tour because the helicopter ride is a major part of the excitement."

Er, because the poster is asking about taking a helicopter TO the GC and as you know you can't take a helicopter TO the GC south rim.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 23:54
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
597 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours from Vegas

I wouldn't avoid a helicopter tour if going on a helicopter is the main thing you want to do - but you can do that anywhere. If you want to see the Grand Canyon avoid a helicopter from LV. IMHO there's nothing too grand about the west rim. I believe you can take a plane tour to the south rim and take a copter when there.