We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second ferris wheel?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
Save Topic
Second ferris wheel?

I seem to recall that there was another "ferris wheel" being built in Vegas. Is that still going forward knowing how "successful" the High Roller has been?

Special Offer
The High Roller at The LINQ
829 reviews
from US$19.99*
US$25.00
Special Offer
Happy Hour on The High Roller at The...
175 reviews
from US$35.49*
US$40.00
Las Vegas Explorer Pass
20 reviews
from US$78.99*
Las Vegas Power Pass with...
1 review
from US$84.99*
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,711 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second ferris wheel?

There were plans to build a ferris wheel near Mandalay Bay, and they even started. But the project has been scrapped.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second ferris wheel?

Giant Ferris wheels have been proposed for more than half a dozen locations in the area. Here's a link for six locations from 2009 and earlier: www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/voyager.htm .

Since then, I'm aware of three others. Only the High Roller has been completed. As ktinca noted, another near Mandalay Bay was scrapped. There was a third proposed even after that, but it never went anywhere; I forget the details.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second ferris wheel?

Only thing left of the "proposed" big wheel are two 1/2 built support columns across from MB/Luxor hotels. I'm sure the people behind this failed attempt are pretty happy at this time. Since the linq is not exactly doing good.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second ferris wheel?

Taxi driver told us that they used the wrong kind of cement/re-bars and it is scrapped and that it is going to take millions to take it down.

Ali

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second ferris wheel?

And we know taxi cab drivers know everything

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second ferris wheel?

Wait what. A millions to remove two 15 ft support beams. I'm having a hard time believing that.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Second ferris wheel?

I'm not even sure that loco moco should really have gravy all over. I gotta watch my cholesterol.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second ferris wheel?

FYI when construction was halted they were 200 feet.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second ferris wheel?

>>>Only thing left of the "proposed" big wheel are two 1/2 built support columns across from MB/Luxor hotels. I'm sure the people behind this failed attempt are pretty happy at this time. Since the linq is not exactly doing good<<<

I think it is worth pointing out that ride tickets are only a part of the revenue from these things. The primary function of the Linq is to draw people to the area. They get revenue from the leases in the entire development. FWIW at least at the Flamingo they also bumped room rates for rooms with a "High Roller View". If they can just sell enough tickets to generate revenue to cover the day to day operating costs then they are ahead of the game.

I bring that up in this thread in part because people are so quick to call the High Roller a "failure" and in part because it was an obvious point in the design of the 2nd wheel by Mandalay Bay. If you looked at the design illustrations for that one it was obviously really just a giant billboard geared much more toward advertising revenue than making money from rides. I am glad it is not going to be built because I thought it looked tacky and was unnecessary. But again the point is that financially there is more going on with these things than just making money from ticket sales.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 20:47
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
966 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second ferris wheel?

HuskerBB: Thank you for that upbeat post. The High Roller may not be a cash cow, but IMO, it is a positive venture that will pay off in the long run. I've been on it during the day and will go on it again at night next time.