We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and observations

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leo, Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and observations

I went with a group of 7 to celebrate my 40th birthday in Vegas. A big thumbs up to the entire city. Here is my report. We were all rookies to Vegas. I felt very prepared because of Trip Advisor. Thank you to everyone for answering my numerous questions before hand.

First of all: Pet Peeve: It is very annoying how nearly no one in Vegas will split a bill on a party. I know Vegas is big and they have to flip tables. But I think it is ridiculous that someone in the group gets stuck with $800 on their credit card from one meal because an establishment will not take the time to split a check. Where I am from it is common practice to split checks even in the larger cities. Ok, rant over.

Airport: got you in and out of there quickly no problems. Awesome.

Limo to Flamingo: as some had suggested we got a limo through Presidential. Our driver was very nice and the experience was awesome. However, we were told the $70 gave us the limo for an hour. We all wanted to see THE sign and take pictures. Our driver told us that would probably take us over the hour. We had to pay for an extra half an hour just to take pictures at the sign. I don't know about 1 hour and 15 minutes for the pick up, pictures (10-12 minutes), and drop off at the Flamingo as we did nothing else. I guess it was worth it.

The Flamingo: when I read the reviews on here there were a LOT of bad ones. We are not frequent travelers and are not super picky. The Flamingo wasn't bad BUT after just a 20 minute check-in at about 10:30 on Friday they sent us to an unmade room! They told us they would send a maid right up (sure). Twenty-five minutes later no maid. I went down to check-in and she gave us a room higher up (which was a little nicer) but the maid was still making up that room. We waited on her for about 20 minutes. Not a good start. However, the rest of the stay no complaints. The elevators were creaky but not bad. Pool was awesome. Everyone there was pleasant. Loved the location. Would probably not stay there again just because we would want to try somewhere else.

Food/drink:

Margaritaville (at Flamingo) everyone in our group loved it. Good live music, dancing, and specials. We were there several times. Didn't really eat here.

Stratosphere and 107 Club: LOVED IT! Food was delicious! Loved the view. Got to see a thunderstorm come in. Happy Hour at 107 Club was nice. Was very expensive for us but loved it.

Battista Italian Hole in the Wall: I had New York Strip $48. Most tasteless steak I have ever had. I know it is Italian but a restaurant has to be able to cook and season a steak. My wife and shrimp pasta which she thought was ok. Some in our group liked it.

Ellis Island: Thanks for this suggestion Trip Advisor. Prime Rib Dinner and beer for $13!! Tasty and cheap! Loved it!

Show: saw Mystere and loved it. Got our tickets from Tix4Tonight. Got there at 9:30 and waited till Tix4Tonight opened at 10 a.m. I would suggest getting there early because people will line up. Took our Voucher to Treasure Island to get our seat assignments and then ate at Treasure Island Buffet. It was lousy (as many of the reviews said it was)

Fremont Street: we stopped here after eating at the Stratosphere and walked around. We were all full of good food and dressed up. Walked around but didn't go in anywhere. We didn't give this place the chance it deserved. If I ever get back I want to explore more.

Leaving: took the shuttle to the airport which wasn't bad.

Overall: Loved it! I don't gamble and didn't while I was there. Several others did and won a little. If I ever get back I think I would like to two stay at a couple of different places while I was there so that I could experience different locations more. We didn't get outside of the center strip very much at all. I would love to take in more shows. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to give suggestions! Much appreciated.

ohio
Level Contributor
399 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and observations

Nice trip report. I'm surprised at them not splitting the bill. I haven't run into that myself. I also am amazed at how many tips I get from Trip Advisor and even after all these years I still learn new things.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and observations

Thanks for posting the report. Nice to hear from first timers. My first trip in 18 days away! I agree, this forum and the kind folks here have provided so much valuable info!

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report and observations

Great report.

To the point and informative.

Hope you'll return soon and try those different loacations. That's what us long-time Vegas fans do - enjoy our trip and plan the things we want to do on our NEXT trip.

Looks like you're one of US, now.

Leo, Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report and observations

@Jay hope you have as a great of a trip as we did.

Leo, Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report and observations

@barry Thank you. Really enjoyed it. Don't know if we will be regulars--we have young kiddos. But I but BET we get back there sometime!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report and observations

Thanks for TR! It's always great to hear a newbies perspective!

Regarding your rant...I have found that if you just simply put all the credit cards in the folio and ask the server to run equal amounts on each card most will oblige. It's not exactly splitting the check as it's just running X amount of credit cards through the POS terminal.

Leo, Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report and observations

Thanks for the suggesting g35girl. That would have been an improvement I think.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report and observations

Interesting comment about check splitting. It's pretty common in my neck of the woods to do this. For example, if there are two couples dining - it's common for that to be split into the appropriate 2 checks. Even to the point where there was a shared appetizer, the server will put half on each check. Never seems to be much work for the server, it's all software driven by the point of sale program they use. Just pushing a couple of extra buttons. I've always thought the server generally ends up getting better tips from 2 checks rather than one large one.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report and observations

I know this is not the point of the thread, but regarding splitting checks...it does make extra work for the server. Especially big parties where each individual wants a separate check. You've got to keep track of drinks, meals etc for 7+ people. Not to mention if they are splitting individual items. So, yes, it is extra work. No problem in your average restaurant, but in Vegas I imagine it can become very cumbersome and time consuming. Solution....always bring cash when dining out with a large party, that way each person can just put in their share of the total and one person is not stuck paying the entire bill. Glad you had a good time!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
813 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report and observations

Fun to the point ... Flamigo desk just should have told the rooms were not ready I would be annoyed by this waitjng on a maid business. Where the heck did yall eat for an $800 bill. Wow lol