We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

I've read through the forum about trips to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas and noted that the South Rim is the place to go.

My dilemma is whether or not to add the helicopter ride to our plane flight to the South Rim.

The circumstances are that my friend and I won't have time to drive to the South Rim and stay overnight. I'm likely to come back to Vegas and will be able to do this but my friend probably won't, not in the near future anyway.

They really wanted to do a helicopter flight over the canyon but didn't realise that these trips were to Grand Canyon West. So, we're prepared to pay the money and take the plane flight to the South Rim but adding on a helicopter trip whilst there, is expensive and as others have said, is at the expense of being on the ground.

From others who have done this, did you think the expense (both money and time on the ground) was worth including the helicopter trip as well?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Many people say that the helicopter ride is great but my personal opinion is that you should maximize the limited time you have by checking out a few different views at the rim. That's the best way of appreciating just how amazing the canyon is.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,833 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

You'll have about 3-4 hours at the south rim from the time you get off the plane until you reboard. A helicopter flight will burn more than an hour of that time. It will also allow you to see the canyon from a different perspective.

Helicopter flights at the canyon are thrilling and unforgettable. They are not, IMO, an essential element of a great GC experience. But then no day trip is the ideal experience IMO. But it's better than no experience at all.

If your friend is set on it, then do it. Hopefully you'll be able to return someday and do a more proper GC visit by including an over night stay at one of the park lodges. You need at least one full 24 hour cycle there, again in my opinion.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,727 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

I have done the helicopter over the GCNP but that was part of a 2 day stay at GCNP so I didn't have any time pressures.

The helicopter does give you a different perspective but I would not have wanted to do this if it meant sacrificing time at the rim where you want more time to take in the grandeur - if it was me I'd skip the helicopter.

London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

I have just booked this exact tour with maverick for later this month. Like you we we torn about whether adding the helicopter part of the trip would add to the experience or not.

We came to the conclusion that as we have never been in a helicopter and are unlikely to return to the Grand Canyon anytime soon that we would do the whole experience. We have accepted that this will limit our time on the ground but didn't want to miss out on what may be for us a once in a lifetime experience of being in a helicopter over the Grand canyon.

When is your trip?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Me and the wife did the grand connesiour tour through pappilion, which is the flight and helicopter at the south rim, think I paid around $1000 and it was worth it

Like others have said it eats into your time on the ground but added unique experience and amazing views, I wouldn't do the helicopter again but would recommend it

London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Why wouldn't you do it again ineedbeer? Is that because it's one of those things that once is good but no need to repeat activities or is it because you didn't think it was worth doing at all?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Wife and I did it last fall and while pricey it was worth every penny. Don't worry too much about time lost on the ground. You are at one locale and while the views are breath taking the helicopter adds such a different dimension to appreciating the wonder that the GC is. You still have plenty of time on the ground. Just remember to tip your helicopter pilot.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

Thank you all so much for your replies, it's definitely helped.

I reckon we probably will do the helicopter flight. I think my friend would be disappointed not to be able to say they'd done it. We've both flown in a helicopter before (me - over the Great Barrier Reef - special birthday treat) and I'm glad that I did because the place is as good as the postcards and looking at Google maps, I'm thinking the Grand Canyon will be just as spectacular. And that's why I'm planning to come back another time and spend a couple of nights in one of the Lodges.

emmadn - we're coming in September, so I'll get the trip booked now.

Kukalaka - tip the pilot? Kidding?

9. Re: Opinion of combined flight/helicopter trip to South Rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16