We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance to book the hotel

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
How far in advance to book the hotel

Hi all,

We are visiting 4 nights from Tues 7 Oct so in just on 2 months time but am a little frustrated by the prices on show for the higher end hotels (Venetian, Wynn, Encore etc) of $300+ per night plus taxes and resort fees when so many reviews I keep reading talk about $160-$200 night stays in these places.

Understand its all about demand and time of year but to my knowledge early October is not during school holidays, uni break or any other holidays so not sure why the premium prices.

Does anyone know whether its best to wait 4 weeks out or if they actually go up even higher closer to the time?

Any advice appreciated as $1500 US for 4 nights with taxes on average seems a little out there

Penrith, United...
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

I just booked planet hollywood for 7 nights for $440 . It's not in the same league as Wynn,Venetian or encore but it represents fantastic value for money and save you over $1000. For the amount of time spent in the room,this is the best option imo. $1000 extra drinking money :-)

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

On the 4th of June, I booked Venetian for Sep 21-26 (Sun-Fri) for 109 per night plus tax and resort fee. That was an email offer. I haven't seen another offer or promo that equaled it yet.

I start looking six months out and for whatever reason, once I book the prices never get better. That is, I've never had to call and rebook at the lower rate. So you should probably book the best price you can get and watch prices as your trip approaches.

If you want to stay at Wynn or Venetian/Palazzo, you should make sure you are on their email list.

btw: automobile rentals are a different story. I book thru a website such as kayak.com and I find that rates generally do drop as my trip approaches. I'm down to 215 dollars total for six and a half days for an intermediate SUV. I am fairly satisfied with that rate so far.

Good luck--I hope you find a good room sale!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

Even though it is midweek during the school year there could be a major convention those days which is driving up the rates.

You can book a room far in advance if you know where you want to stay. But then keep checking back to see if the rates drop. If they do, you can rebook at the lower rate.

I would not be comfortable flying as far as you are and not having a room booked. I would say book something you are comfortable with now so you defiantly have a room. Then keep hunting for a last minute bargain. There is no risk in doing this. But I would not keep my fingers crossed waiting for a deal with not having anything booked. You could end up with a top dollar room or stay in a lower level property than you were hoping for.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

The places you are looking at are pricier places and,in my opinion,not worth the expense. But I should add that I am not a "roomie" so the latest colors,furniture and a fancy bathroom don't impress me at all. You may want to look at some of the other hotels like Mirage,Paris,Monte Carlo,etc. Their rooms will be fine and clean and the service quite acceptable. On the other hand,if a fancy room is what you are looking for,then you will have to pay the price. good luck.

philly
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

October is a big convention month for Vegas so the prices are some of the highest of the year second to New Years. There's a chance the prices can go down but the truth is that the deals for October come out in May and usually go away by late July. As this is August most fall events are planned by now or are being planned so the premium prices are being advertised now.

Booked MGM in early May for the (not so low) price of $168 including taxes and fees. Recently, Phish was announced to perform there Halloween weekend so now that same room is $100 more.

As far as getting W/E for cheap, that's a gamble and you have to be lucky enough to catch the sales or sign up for their players card and hope you get an email deal.

That's how these things go.

Good luck.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

Oct 7 at Venetian doesn't even show available to book, so I'd guess something is going on. October is also a popular month for travelers in general and for conventions, so not as likely to have some of the lower prices of other times of year

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,939 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

I haven't booked that week yet. But I am waiting for an offer from a specific hotel.

Will your choice of hotel be dependent upon the rate going down? If not the standard advice is applicable here. Book the room direct with the hotel, using a fully refundable reservation. Then keep checking rates and if/when they go down have the lower rate applied. Or if you find a better offer elsewhere, cancel and make the switch.

California
Level Contributor
679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

Now that you know prices you can spot a deal when you see one. Some of the sites I use for discount codes is Fatwallet and smartervegas. You can also sign up for a Hotel online and they will send you specials. I usually never pay over $125.00 a night, but we don't go luxury since we just sleep and shower in the room (MGM).

I book when I see a deal, no matter how far out. Then I plan my trip around my deal. When I travel internationally I book my lodging 3-6 months out.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

I booked the Venetian for 8 days (starting Tuesday, 8/5, for $119/night average). I got a good deal because I booked directly with the hotel in advance, when I saw a good deal and then monitored prices to make sure I got the lowest price between when I booked and my trip.

We always go around the same time of the year so I watch prices for months before booking. I wouldn't want to get a few weeks out and have to pay whatever the hotel feels like charging at that point in time.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How far in advance to book the hotel

im travelling next week and i booked my hotels in january via hotels.com dont forget if dollar goes down the price goes up