We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Las Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Las Vegas

Hi all,

This is my second question of the day. I am looking for a rental car arriving with plane at airport Las Vegas for my road trip. Past days I have been browsing online and found just like in Miami last year Sixt is by far the cheapest, but again has the most negative reviews besides the lesser known car rental places. Also the fact sixt at las vegas is not situated on the airport but a cross the making you wait for a shuttle or you have to call for one. Anyway lots of negative reviews.

I have to say my experience with Sixt in Miami was not negative. It was smaller then i expected and i did have to ask for another car because my 2 big suitcase would not fit in the appointed ifar suv vw tiguan. They gave me 2 other options after asking but did tell me to hurry. Unlike other rental company's you get to pick you own car which i like better. I saved about 250 dollars with them, and returning the car was no issue at all. I even received status of car in email later saying everything was ok. In the end i was a happy customer.

I loved driving SUV feeling more secure, safe and higher so I would like to do this again unless the price difference is very big. My 2 suitcase and 2 handbags have to fit in the trunk. In my calculations after looking all over of for all inclusive packages (ldw etc.) sixt was cheapest.

Sixt

Prepaid about 570

Wit cancel option about 600

Travel details:

1. Pick up 09-23-2014 about 1:30 a.m.

2. Return 10-07-2014 about 7:30 p.m. perhaps even more early but I don't think that would make much of a difference. Meaning 15 days. I prefer to include things like ldw and third party damage insurance.

3. I do not need 2nd driver but if included you will not hear me complaining.

4. Yes I have a visa credit card aadvantage that includes ldw, but I have been reading loads of people getting into trouble when something when wrong. Also reserving credit card for this insurance makes me nervous.

5. Thinking about taking the option of Roadservice but I can add that always so do not bother

6. Prefer suv. 2 big suitcase have to fit including 2 handbags that you are allowed to take on plane.

Other option that is 160 dollars more expensive is Hertz with their all inclusive package code ADF 760 dollars. Annoyingly the also but some unclear "Miscellaneous location fee may apply at the counter" at the bottom of the bill. Leaving a big question mark. Other well known rental agency's like AVIS and Enterprice are extremely expensive and easily get to a 1000. Dollar car rental and thrifty i get to know the ldw and third party damage prices when I get there what I think is annoying. I want to know what I pay before I get there.

1st question

Are there any better suggestions. Of course the cheaper the better. I would not mind to pay tops 675 dollar if I end up with a more trustworthy and time saving company.

2nd Question

Last but also important question since I will be driving a Road trips to Los Angeles and san fransico etc how does it work with toll charges! I do not see this option anywhere on rental car websites.

Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Renting a car in LV is a challange. I needed a car for 16 days and the prices varied by over a $1000 for the same car class. I also wanted an SUV.

The number of choices, discounts and rules is mind boggling.

A lot of car rental sites only give you prices at the airport which includes a large amount of fees and taxes.

I found the best price by

1-going to priceline and using their car rental function

2-in the location area use the menu to select city and then enter las vegas DO NOT use airport.

3-when you get the results you will have to check the "all companies" on the left side. It only gives you a couple by default.

4-you then can also select car class.

5-once you have a company and location go to their web site enter any additional discounts you may have. I have AAA and this one rental will more then off set my annual fee

There is a Hertz location behind circus circus that had the best price.

It was only 200 more for a medium SUV then for a mid size at the airport and a 1000 cheaper then at the airport for the same SUV.

Plus this location will come and pick you up from nearby hotels.

I booked Palace Station which has a no cost airport shuttle.

Some of the locations have limited hours and no weekends but it worth it to save that much money.

I also found the expedia site good as it shows the discount agencies also, but in my case I needed a major in order to be able to go into canada.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Thank you for the advice. Indeed it is hard to get what I look for. Its a good idea to look at price comparison sites first and then on the website of the cheapest one indeed. However it will not indicate any additional costs like ldw etc. The rate for the car might be low but the rate for the insurances might kill you. Ofcourse it is still a good indication.

I also see rental company's like

- ez-rent-a-car

- firefly

- fox

- advatage

Have no idea kf these are any good. Most of the above mentioned have negative reviews. I know you will always find people with bad experience, but these rental comps don't seem to be popular.

Hard to find anything netter then Sixt is offering.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 23:07
United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

I would suggest www.nationalcar.co.uk

This company is more reliable than Sixt and yes, you get to pick out your car from whatever is available in that size. If you "start the booking process" ahead of time online you just head to the kiosk on arrival, swipe your credit card, answer a few questions and go to the cars. Very easy and no hassle. The price looks about the same as Sixt and when you click on the website you will see an offer of "free additional driver" so click that, big savings over 2 weeks. A full size car should be fine for you, but they have a good price on a small SUV as well. Note that with an SUV, depending on where you are driving on your road trip, all of your luggage and belongings may be visible to thieves. I prefer to have a locked trunk (boot) for a little more peace of mind (especially in Los Angeles).

I recently found out that some company's "roadside service" covers only up to $125 in services, so paying $80 for two weeks of that coverage would be ridiculous. Do not accept any roadside service offers, the cars are well maintained (from Hertz, Avis, National and Alamo at least) and the chances that you'll need service are minimal, unless you're prone to locking keys in the car. Also don't worry about that annoying "local fee may apply" with Hertz, nobody at Hertz seems to know what that is all about.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Alamo through Costco usually has great deals.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Hi HaroldnMaude,

Again thank you for your advice. Indeed booking national from the website you gave me seems to be a very good price including ldw and sli also. Perhaps a stupid question but everything is in english pound while i have visa dollar credit card. Hard to calculate price in dollars if everything is in pounds. Online conversion tool only gives me an impression k think. Anybody can tell me how much my visa account will be billed for each pound?

You are right to state it might be better to have a car with a locked trunk space. I was in doubt about this already. Still I wonder when driving death valley, grand canyon etc might be more comfortable in a suv? Of course i have never been there so I have no idea. I am planning driving a circle towards los angeles and then up to san Francisco ending back in vegas through death valley. I assume this would fine in a non suv car. I think i agree renting a full size would be sufficient. Perhaps people with roadtrip experience in the indicated area's can agree or disagree?

About the national car .co.uk site. Wondering how they can be so much cheaper then the other national car website that is in dollar. It almost seems to be to good to be true. Including ldw and sli is incredible for this price. I assume I will not be billed for anything else when arriving surprising me. I know national is a great rental company making me most likely happy with rental.

Thx again

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Hi Karen thank you for the tip. I looked at costco and noticed they do not seem to include several fees. Also ldw and sli are not included leaving a big question mark how much the price will be like. Perhaps i am mistaken about this.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

The only fees it doesn't cover is insurance. Your credit card or personal car insurance may cover that. Costco covers one additional driver.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 05:46
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Thank you Karen for your tip. If it does not cover ldw and sli insurence I think it will be trickey. Ofcourse knowing alamo bills about 25 dollars a day I can make my own calculations if the deal is to good to pass. Up and until now it seems national.co.uk has the better deal but this can change any other day.

Thank you again

ohio
Level Contributor
399 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

I always use carrentalsavers.com to compare the rates. Remember also that there are no rental companies at the airport. Most of them are at a different facility but the airport shuttle takes you there and it is very quick and easy.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car Las Vegas

Can anybody tell me anything about toll routes? I do not see anywhere an option to add in my car rental unlike in florida. Since I am going to travel to different states also it might be more difficult? I will be traveling to las vegas, san fransisico and phoenix.

Skala

I used your carrentalsavers.com and this overview is nice to have and also confirms the national.co.uk is still the cheapest.