We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptop in Vegas

London, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Laptop in Vegas

Hi all - not a very exciting question, but important to me nonetheless.

I am visiting Vegas in October, and was wondering whether I could pick up a cheaper Laptop (in comparison to UK prices).

After some quick research, am I right in thinking I will be liable for some kind of export tax? Does anyone have any experience with buying electrical goods from the US and taking back to UK?

Thanks

G

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laptop in Vegas

Yeah I have bought Apple goods (MacBook Air/iPads x4/iPhone x4) in the US and just waltzed through customs without paying anything no probs at all ... Not on the same trip mind.

If declared you will need to pay import duty and VAT at the uk end, this will be 21.7% total if I recall correctly.

London
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laptop in Vegas

I have bought 3-4 back over the years, stick it in a normal laptop bag and you should have no issues in regards to getting it through customs the other side.

With the current favourable exchange rate, along with generally cheaper pricing, you should be able to make a fair old saving

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laptop in Vegas

Also, don't forget there will be the local sales tax (8 point something %) to pay on top of the sticker prices which might make things less of a bargain than they initially seem to be.

glasgow, scotland
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laptop in Vegas

Try Frys near the bottom of the strip for good deals on Laptops (Remember it will be a US keyboard), Go on their website for the weekly special deals, I think they renew the deals every Friday.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laptop in Vegas

I suggest you check US pricing for what you want on Amazon- they offer free delivery to US addresses- they can deliver to your hotel (which may levy a package handling charge)

(Usual disclaimers: I have no connection with Amazon other than as a satisfied customer)

ATonTA

Manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laptop in Vegas

Agree with the above. I bought mine online via amazon and eBay and had them posted to the business centre at my hotel. Saved shopping over there when there are other things to be done!

If you take the tags off and dont want to bring boxes, you will have no problem at customs even if you did get stopped.

London, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laptop in Vegas

Thank you, guys. Some really good suggestions there.

I will check Amazon, and also Frys.

Perfect.

8. Re: Laptop in Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17