We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Hello all

Just reading about these resort fees

Never heard of them

Never paid them before on any holiday we've had

Booked flight and hotel through expedia

Guess I'm gonna have to trawl through my paperwork to see if I have paid them or $28 for 9 nights

That's $252 hidden charges

Is that per person or per room ?

We've been to US many, many times and never paid these before

Thanks

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

>Never heard of them

Normal almost everywhere these days. People have been complaining about them for years.

>That's $252 hidden charges

I guarantee they weren't hidden. On the expedia hotel selection page I see this for Aria in large print:

FREE Cancellation before Fri, Oct 10

You can cancel free of charge up until the cancellation window

Cancellations or changes made after 11:59AM (Pacific Daylight Time (US & Canada); Tijuana) on Fri, Oct 10 or no-shows are subject to a hotel fee equal to the first night's rate plus taxes and fees.

Plus $28.00 daily resort fee

$75 Food and Beverage Credit

>Is that per person or per room ?

Per room

>see if I have paid them

Because you booked through a third party it's possible you did. You won't have to trawl far. It will be pretty much "up front"

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Most U.S. hotels don't charge resort fees, but they do exist in certain markets and certain types of hotels. Las Vegas is one of those markets. The fee is per room per night (not per person).

Whenever I look at rates on hotels' Web sites, the resort fees are stated. They're not "hidden charges."

Edited: 05 August 2014, 12:34
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

If you have booked through Expedia you have to pay the resort fees on departure

We used Expedia on 2012 when we stopped at the Trump and we paid the resort fees on checkout don't forget you will also have tax on the fee

We are flying out to Vegas on the 8 September staying at Boulder Station and it states on your booking email that the resort fees are payable direct to the hotel and what you get for the fee

If you have printed off your itinerary it's all not right hand side on the hotel part under additional hotel services

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Pompey,this is just a way for the hotels to nickel and dime everyone. Similar to what the airlines do now with baggage fees,seat selection,etc. In the zeal to book a vacation,the resort fee is often over-looked and can be a surprise upon arrival. The resort fees could have been eliminated a few years ago when one group of hotels began using them if travelers would have sacrificed minimally by choosing to stay at the other hotel group until the other group canceled them. But,like so many cases,the sacrifice was too great I guess. have fun in Vegas

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Just to note: The fees aren't limited to just the US. They are imposed at some foreign resorts as well.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Just been through the same as you. I booked 9nts through Expedia and when I found out about the resort fees I cancelled (got all my money back on the hotel) and re-booked my hotel throgh Lowcostusa.com. In there price all taxes and resort fees are included. PUP

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

When you booked with Expedia and it shows you the total cost - there will be a question mark button near something called "hotel fees" - if you click on the question mark it should reveal the resort fee charges that apply to you. They will not have been included in the Expedia charge and will be payable locally.

I have missed this button in the past and I would argue that Expedia don't do a great deal to put it in a prominent position and it is easily missed before you confirm your booking.

Its a nice little way for hotels to get you thinking that your stay has cost $ but in actual fact on check out it has cost you $$.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Another thing to remember is that while many other hotels don't charge them as a separate line item, those other hotels are just flat out more expensive.

Try staying in New York, Chicago or any big city in a service level hotel equal to or even a step down from what you get in Vegas and you'll find the rates are much much higher than what you see in Vegas. That $219 per night for an Aria room or $159 for Mirage plus resort fee would still be higher elsewhere.

So the constant hand wringing over this I simply don't understand.

I get it - and I don't like it - that the hotels keeping them as a separate line item sucks and makes them look petty nickel and dime-ish.

N Ireland-UK
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

My reservation with Lowcostusa does not have resort fees included, it states these are to be paid separately when I check out. I don't know of any 3rd party sights who include this, expedia, hotels.com and the major ones all just include room taxes but not resort fees.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: resort fees what are they never heard of them before

Gotta love them resort fees. Caught me off guard a couple years ago .. I almost shed a tear while handing over an extra $200.00 that I thought I had to spend on fun stuff lol. Well now I know better!