We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

The very first night on our first trip we arrived late like close to midnight. We walked from Luxor to Bellagio and stood there for an hour waiting for a fountain show. Realized the next day they stopped at midnight lol.

What goofy mistake did you make?

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,622 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Getting the deuce bus back from downtown on a Friday evening (or any time) how can it take so long?! Also queuing at the mlife desk for myvegas rewards in our hotel when we want to use them in a different hotel and not knowing you need to queue up there.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Thinking the shoes they can wear elsewhere are comfortable enough for Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,838 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Thinking the girl next to me at the video poker bar was a showgirl in Jubilee or something when she said she was an "entertainer". :)

Mentioned in this post
Jubilee!
Jubilee!
992 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

I though restaurants on the strip were going to be cheaper. I didn't budget near enough money my first trip. I'm sure that's not uncommon to budget too low for a first trip.

Olla, Louisiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Put a twenty in what I thought was a penny machine I had had some luck with. Wondered why it wouldn't let me bet more than 20 credits but hit spin anyway. Then was shocked when my credit went from $20 to $0 in one spin =-O. Took someone else pointing out it was a dollar machine and not broken. Oh well!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

The usual noob mistake of "oh, it's just over there, we can just walk". After a couple days of that we were happy to discover that little wooden seated shuttle that took 100 hours to get up and down the strip. I kind of miss that little shuttle/trolley thing. Did it have a name?

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Going to Vegas in the first place. I wind up going back every year. :-)

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

My first trip was for my brothers wedding. They were staying at and got married at the Bellagio but told the rest of us we had to stay in another hotel because it was their honeymoon and they didn't want to come down to breakfast and see everyone there.

We really had no idea the size of the place and spent the week in taxis to and from the Luxor to the Belaggio when we could have all stayed at the same hotel and not run into each other.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

Taking the helicopter flight to (not) the Grand Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your biggest noob mistake in Vegas?

My other half told me that if I wanted a drink whilst sitting at a slot machine all I had to do was press the service button and a waitress would come. As you can imagine I was very embarrassed when one of the managers came over and asked what was wrong with my machine.