We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 trick when checking in?

3 posts
Save Topic
$20 trick when checking in?

I see people mention the "$20 trick" but how do you do it? Just pass them a $20? I'd love to get an upgrade like that but no idea how to manage it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

I am sure someone will post the link to the 20 trick site soon

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k773498…

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

It's not a trick. It's a bribe. If you are comfortable making bribes, go for it. If not, just pay for the room you want. It's not exactly like bribing a police officer who pulls you over, since that is illegal, but to me, it's unethical since you and the front desk person are basically working together to take money (missed revenue from a better room) from the hotel.

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

It's a bribe to get the desk clerk to give you a better room than you paid for. Nothing more,nothing less

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,703 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

Yes, it's a bribe. Just tell them if they will give you a nice upgrade, then you will pay them $20. But if they won't then tell them you won't give them the $20. No secret to it, no misunderstanding, we all know what is going on. Very simple.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

Some people consider it a bribe, but others consider it a tip. I always ask if there are complimentary upgrades available, and I tip if I am upgraded. I do this at most hotels, no matter what city I am in, and my request has been successful more often than not. A couple of times I have been upgraded to a suite. The last time I was in LV I stayed at the Luxor for two nights. I wanted to stay in the pyramid this time, and I was upgraded at no cost to a two-room suite.

Check this out: http://www.frontdesktip.com/

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

Traditionally, people will fly in a brass band via private jet, set up in the lobby, and then the lights dim down, everyone moves to the side, and the visitor walks down the red carpet proudly holding up a $20, singing "Give me a upgrade!"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,672 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

I try it myself from time to time with definitely mixed results but let's be honest among ourselves; a tip given before the additional service is provided is a bribe.

To answer the OP's question re: the mechanics of doing it, my understanding is that when you hand over your ID and credit card when checking in you put a $20 (or $50) bill, folded twice so it's concealed by the ID, between the ID and credit card.

Hence the alternate term "$20 sandwich."

When you hand this to the check in person you say pleasantly "And could you please check to see if there are any complimentary upgrades available?"

Good luck! If you're curious, there's no reason not to give it a try!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

Sometimes they will just give you an upgrade. No bribe is necessary. I like to think of it this way: Money offered up front = bribe. Money offered after they assign upgrade=tip. I don't think we should confuse the two. If they OFFER you an upgrade without your asking, then feel free to tip if you'd like to. I agree with lovevegas. It is not ethical for a desk clerk to accept money to upgrade. If I were a supervisor, I'd fire anyone who gave away higher priced rooms that way.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 18:05
Dallas
Level Contributor
21,703 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $20 trick when checking in?

Well, I feel certain that the supervisors and all the way up the management chain are aware that this happens. I would guess they have guidelines that the desk clerks must follow. It's not like it's only a secret to those of us on Trip Advisor.

I would feel kind of stupid putting the $20 between my cc and my id, like I don't want anyone else in the place to know I'm trying to bribe the clerk. I would probably just hold the $20 very visibly in my hand and ask if there is a chance to get an upgrade. Then if they upgrade me, and I would be certain it is really an upgrade, I would give them the $20.

Every time I have checked in that I can remember, the desk clerk says something to try to make you think he has given you something special, like a "higher room with a view of the strip." Higher than what? I think they are smarter about this than we are.