We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best tour to G. Cayons

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
best tour to G. Cayons

hi

i will be in Vegas again in October and would like to know which is the best company to choose for the G Canyon. would like one that descend in the canyon.

i have visited the south rim 3 times and once the west rim. don't mind going again, just love that place.---

also is it worth going to the North rim canyon? i have only fly over it once. looked great to me.

there is an overnight tour to the north rim, is it worth going?

i will be going with my partner and he hasn't seen any of the canyons yet, it will be his first time there----

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

You don't say when in October but the North Rim services (lodge, restaurants) close for the season on October 15th. It is the remotest of the three areas you mention.

The only way to descend into the Canyon at the South and North Rim visitor areas is by hiking trails or mule. If you need to be flown down by helicopter, Grand Canyon West is your only option.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Pink Jeep used to do tours to Toroweap, one of the most remote viewpoints at the GC north rim, but looking at their website it appears they do not go there anymore.

Another place to see the canyon at river level is a Jeep tour down Diamond Creek Road on the indian reservation.

bighornwildwesttours.com/tours/…

North Rim is very nice, but as noted the facilities close October 15.

Bar 10 is a ranch on the north rim, accessed by plane from Vegas or an 80 mile dirt road out of St George.

Another nice canyon is up at Zion, just short of three hors from Vegas. Can be combined with Bryce if you add a day or two.

Death Valley is another option. October is a nice time to go.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 21:21
Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

hi - dettigerfan , dez40

thanks for all your info ..

we will be there from 30th sept to 9th October. depart 10th October. will it be too cold to go to the north rim at that time? never been there and would love to go ..

interested in death valley as well, haven't been there either. any tips on which company does a good day -small group - trips there?

been too Zion and Bryce - both lovely places... wouldn't mind going again.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Pink Jeep goes to Death Valley.

I don't think its too cold at the NR. The problem is getting a reservation there. There is only one lodge and it closes Oct 15. The viewpoints at the NR are more spread out than the South Rim, so once you get there expect to drive some more. If you go on a tour, hopefully they take you to more places than just the lodge.

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Hi dez40

we will be taking tours only, no driving. ... what about Bar 10? is that good? will it be open in beginning October as well? read about it and it sounds fun...

thanks again

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Bar 10 is popular with rafters and off roaders. Its a drop off/pick up point for various raft trips and a good base to explore places like Toroweap and the Grand Parashant region if you have a 4x4 or dirt bike. The elevation there is about 4000 feet as opposed to around 8000 at the National Park north rim lodge, which is in a pine forest.

You can ride ATVs or horses, or shoot skeet there.

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

so its better at the lodge, get better views from there i guess--

thanks again for all your help here..

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Bar 10 is not on the rim, the lodge at the NR overlooks the canyon.

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Do you know any campany that do tour to this lodge from vegas?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best tour to G. Cayons

Sorry, I never do tours. You could try to google a tour company that does.