We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage tipping question... sorry!

CT
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage tipping question... sorry!

Sorry to ask another tipping question... just want to be sure to do right thing. Thanks!

I switched our flight so now we will arrive before noon. (yay!) If our room is not ready and we want to leave our luggage so we can take off for a while, do we have to tip when we leave our bags or just when we pick them up?

6 more days!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

I only tip when I retrieve the bags. $2-3 per bag if I get them from the desk, $5 per bag if I have them delivered to the room.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

After being on Las Vegas forums for years, I am convinced that what Diva does (tipping only when you pick up the bags) is the standard.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,995 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

I also only tip when I retrieve my bags.

CT
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

OK. Thanks!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

And I only tip a dollar or two per bag when they get to the room with it.

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

I gave the guy that held my bags last week at the Flamingo $2. That was for 3 bags. He just seemed like a nice guy.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

$3 is good if they deliver to the room!

I'm more inclined to give a $5 if it was at a nicer hotel like Aria or something.

minnesota
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

Give a couple bucks when I drop them and pick them up.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,634 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

It's like tipping your waitress twice. Once when she takes your food order and again when she drops off the chow.:)

Usual and customary = tipping once for the service of holding your bags. This is assuming you're rolling them up to the bell desk yourself. If a bellman is meeting you in your room and taking your bags downstairs he should be tipped.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage tipping question... sorry!

Two weeks ago we checked out at the Mirage, but our flight was late in the evening. Therefor we asked the bellman-counter to store our luggage. The bellman made very clear that he was only working for another one hour, and that he would not be there when we should be back to get our suitcases. I got the feeling he was really begging for money, so I gave him 5 dollar. When we got back to get our suitcases I gave the other bellman also 5 dollar. I felt better about that, because he didn't mention it at all.