We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south rim or west rim?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Helens UK
4 posts
Save Topic
south rim or west rim?

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Most of the tour flights I've seen go to the west rim

Thanks

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south rim or west rim?

You certainly won't be disappointed by either. I've been to both and I preferred the view at the west rim but it just comes down to personal choice.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south rim or west rim?

I was there just a month ago and from what I remember is, there are NO flight BELOW the rim at the south rim. The west rim has a hilo tour BELOW the rim with a boat tour on the river. The trip is $200 and you get on the hile at the west rim. Now there are two ways to get to the west rim: by BUS or by CAR. Either way, you will be on a NON-paved road for about 20 miles. There are some tour from Las Vegas that take you to either one of the rims, I would check to see from where the hilo/plane takes off from If this is a concern.

West Rim is on indian land and there are TWO points to enjoy the view. The first is where the new Skywalk has been built. This is a flat arch that you walk out on with a thick clear floor so you can look straight down at the view below and it looks like you are standing on air, really neat. Second point is where you are fed (chicken beans and more) It is called guano point. There were caves where bats lived and they harvested the bat guano for various thing. This area is on a horse shoe shaped point and the river comes from the left and circles around to the right with a GRAND view of the canyon. It take about 3 hours to drive to this rim, one way.

South rim is operated by national park service. There is a road that runs east from the south park and there are MANY turn offs to view the river and canyon. From these, I would say that one could actually SEE MORE of the river/canyon. It take about 5 hours to drive to this rim, one way.

In conclusion, they are both very nice and it would be hard to say one is better then the other. Then you could do like I did and go to BOTH. Have fun,jim

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
655 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south rim or west rim?

tatterd,

Is it the west rim that are "closests" to Vegas and to rech South rim you have to drive 5 hours oneway throug AZ to get there?

EK

Royal Oak Mich
Level Contributor
761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south rim or west rim?

troll post......