We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon tour

lincoln
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
grand canyon tour

Will be in vegas for the first time in january and ( 4 of us ) want to do the helicopter canyon thing.Who does the best trips and should i book before i leave the uk?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,985 posts
1,786 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon tour

Book whilst in Vegas as you have a greater choice of companies and prices.

UK brochures tend to concentrate on Papillon and Heli USA.

The concierge at my hotel did not rate Heli USA. They preferred Maverick and Sundance over Papilon.

I was offered another tour company that was cheaper than them all. I went with Sundance. I was happy with them and I knew what my tour included. price wise it was only marginally cheaper than booking in the UK.

However as I mentioned I could had booked a much cheaper tour but I just did not want to take the risk as my wife was really looking forward to the helicopter tour.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon tour

We took the Grand Celebration tour with Papillon last week. They picked us up at our hotel at 6:15 am, drove us to the airport where we checked in and watched a short safety video, followed by a 45 minute helicopter ride each way to and from the canyon, and about 30-40 minutes on the canyon floor. Others have felt that this was not enough time on the floor, but there really isn't a lot to do in their landing area once you get there other than savor the experience and take some pictures, so we felt this was adequate. They provided a champagne breakfast (croissant, mini muffin, and apple) and a bottle of champagne which we ate/drank while we walked around. We were back at our hotel before 11. We really enjoyed the whole experience, particularly the flight itself.

On the downside, we had booked and paid for a full day tour months in advance, which also included a Colorado River rafting ride. When I called to reconfirm our reservation the night before, they told us that the rafting portion had been cancelled due to flooding in the canyon 2 weeks ago . I wish they had notified us in advance so we could select another one of their full day tours. Also, our pilot did not know anything about any rafting trips that had to be cancelled due to flooding. My suspicion is that they just didn't have enough people signed up for that tour. Also, my credit card has not yet been credited for the price difference, alhough they say that a credit was issued.

In summary, all 4 people in my group absolutely loved the trip with Papillon. I'm not quite as impressed with their business office.

3. Re: grand canyon tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:18