We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying america west

s.e. wisconsin
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Topic
flying america west

hi, I'm looking to book a flight with America West, but after reading some of the comments on here I don't know. Has anyone had a good experience? thanks

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying america west

I LOVE flying America West. Please note that they were bought out by US Airways. I've never had a problem with them. Both have always been the least expensive for me to fly from San Jose, Ca to Vegas.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying america west

flown them from Tampa to Vegas direct twice, with the third time coming Tuesday. no problems thus far. if the price is right, and its direct, I wouldnt worry...have fun!

s.e. wisconsin
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: flying america west

thanks to both of you. we usually fly American, but the price is so high right now. my daughter and i are going in december. of course she has told me that we won't be spending all our time together,lol.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying america west

blb, we ALWAYS flew American, until they took out the "extra leg room" seats. I'd pay the extra money to be comfortable. But even for my short trips, they have always been much more costly than America West.

s.e. wisconsin
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: flying america west

yes, I think i will go ahead and book it. American is $280 pp and America West is $217. Have fun on your trip !!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying america west

Actually, America West bought US Airways but took the US Airways name because it's better known. I fly them almost all the time when I'm going to Vegas and have never had a really bad experience. We've had weather delays but we've also been able to fly stand-by on an earlier flight for no additional charge. It's a bit cozy and pretty no-frills, but a decent & affordable experience.

One tip- bring any kind of standard headphones to hear the onboard entertainment for free.

NJ
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying america west

I used to fly American untill I got tired of the one-stop from Jersey. I switched to America West and have been relatively happy with them.

As happy as you can be with any airline today. Give me back the old days!

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying america west

Thanks for the correction Big. I just presumed, because the America West link now goes to U.S.....

s.e. wisconsin
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: flying america west

do they have the kiosk check in at o'hare or do we need to go to the desk?

Iowa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: flying america west

I have had 2 bad experiences with America West. Once out flight was delayed 3 hours because they didn't have a pilot, and another time it was delayed 4 hours for god knows what reason. Also, a friend of mine in Canada had her flight to Vegas cancelled completely with America West the day she was supposed to leave. On one of the flights I found the staff unprofessional, laughing loudly away at the front of the plane, having an inappropriate conversation like they were in a bar. I have not flown with them since US and America West joined, so I will give it one more go, and if it is delayed or cancelled again, never again. I basically sleep with my phone by my head the night before waiting for the call now. Hopefully you have better luck!