We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Hey all,

This is regarding our flights to Vegas in 2 weeks.

Here is the deal.........seating on plane is the 3-4-3 config.......outbound flight is cool, all sitting together and we WONT sleep (plus I like to be near front for immig.).

However - inbound is the usual dreaded night flight and we are all together in H,J,K. towards front of economy.

Question is............there are lots of rows of seats free in back cabin (rows 49-65) which are untaken - whole rows, at least 18 of them in left, middle and right of plane. There are 3 of us - what if I put each person is separate row hoping to get 3 seats each??? This happened to me on way back from Orlando before XMas and it was awesome. Example - me 60J, Wife 59J, Friend 58J....................

If I do this, should I put each person in the 'aisle' seat or 'middle seat' - I guess what I want to do is pick the seat which would discourage others from sitting there, lol - so would middle seat be best as lots of couples, etc wouldnt want to sit separately?????

Sorry for long winded post................there are alot of experienced flyers in this forum so I thought I could tap your knowledge base.

Thanks gang

Nick

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,128 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
916 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Barney,

System will let you sit wherever........we have 3 different booking references anyway since we all paid separately :)

Cool - you leave this monday then? Have a great time and thanks for tip on the picture, :)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Bob66,

I agree with you that its selfish the way people jump for seats as soon as seat belt sign gets turned off BUT everyone else does it, lol..........so I want some of the action and more room :)

I think i will book the 3 middle seats later today depending on other replies.

Thanks for advice :)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Barney,

Did you ever visit Clearwater or St Pete? Just wondered as thats where I grew up so hope you had a good time if you did vacation there?! :)

Mentioned in this post
England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Bob66,

I agree with you that its selfish the way people jump for seats as soon as seat belt sign gets turned off BUT everyone else does it, lol..........so I want some of the action and more room :)

I think i will book the 3 middle seats later today depending on other replies.

Thanks for advice :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,275 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

I would never book a middle seat on the chance to get all three. You're taking a huge chance that you'll end up stuck in the middle for that whole flight!

You can't rely on on-line seat maps to determine what seats are truly "available" for a flight. There may be other bookings that haven't selected a seat yet, often the case for flights booked by travel agents.

There are some on-line resources that will show how many seats are "really" available for a particular flight. Sorry, can't remember off the top of my head what they are! (Maybe check at "flyertalk.com" or give Virgin a ring to see if they can tell you?)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Irish,

Maybe you are right - I take your point and it does seem like a huge risk. By picking 3 aisle seats it wouldnt be much of a risk as I am happy to sit on my own on a night flight as its not as 'sociable' as the day flight! Maybe I should just do that, urgh - I dont know, lol!

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

I booked our flights with Virgin online and selected our seats the way you are going to do. I booked the seats in pairs at the back of the plane, but when I got to check in I was not given those seats. I asked why and was told that the seats you pick online are only "preferences" and they are in no way guaranteed

Personally I think thats a little out of order. If you've booked and paid for the seat online, surely that seat should then be marked as "not available" when other people view it online, they shouldn't let someone else go ahead and book that seat as well.

One other tip, when we got to check in we asked if we could have the bulk head (extra leg room seats), we were told that they were £75 per person per leg of the journey, or that we could go on a waiting list and if no one bought them, they would be given out in the order of people on the waiting list - so we did that and on both legs of the journey our name and dozens of other names were called out to change to these seats for free. So if they don't offer the waiting list option, ask for it and they'll put you on it. I would say there's an 80% chance they won't sell them and will then offer them free to the people on the list.

Anyway, good luck with getting your seats, god knows we need something on a 10 hour flight.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

JarJar,

I have heard stories of people having seats taken away from them but never knew if they were exaggerating or something - obviously by what you say they were not?! I dont understand how they can do that to you - not cool at all!!!

Did you check in 'online' the night before your flight - this would have confirmed the seats as you would be technically checked into the plane at this time..........this is what we intend to do.

It is a long flight although thankfully not quite as bad coming home, I love flying but night flights I am not a fan of :(

Thanks again for advice.

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

No, I didn't - School Boy error on my part. Will definitely be checking in online next time, thanks for that.

Good luck and have a blast.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

thanks JarJar............still think it su*ks that you can have seats 'taken' away from you!!!

I am doing online check in as I HATE airports and if there is anyway to make it easier then I will do it! Couple of weeks ago I had the chance to do a non-airport check in for the first time (Downtown Disney, Orlando) and it was amazing - had whole day to chill and relax knowing my cases were all taken care of and that I had boarding passes in my pocket.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL