We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Hey all,

This is regarding our flights to Vegas in 2 weeks.

Here is the deal.........seating on plane is the 3-4-3 config.......outbound flight is cool, all sitting together and we WONT sleep (plus I like to be near front for immig.).

However - inbound is the usual dreaded night flight and we are all together in H,J,K. towards front of economy.

Question is............there are lots of rows of seats free in back cabin (rows 49-65) which are untaken - whole rows, at least 18 of them in left, middle and right of plane. There are 3 of us - what if I put each person is separate row hoping to get 3 seats each??? This happened to me on way back from Orlando before XMas and it was awesome. Example - me 60J, Wife 59J, Friend 58J....................

If I do this, should I put each person in the 'aisle' seat or 'middle seat' - I guess what I want to do is pick the seat which would discourage others from sitting there, lol - so would middle seat be best as lots of couples, etc wouldnt want to sit separately?????

Sorry for long winded post................there are alot of experienced flyers in this forum so I thought I could tap your knowledge base.

Thanks gang

Nick

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,642 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,131 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
917 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Red,

No fair :( I will get my family to track you down in Lincoln then - i will ask them to find the Redimp lady on Trip Advisor :)

lincoln
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

they will be a long time looking for a lady........travelling on the 24th then i see

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Hi Nick

I hope you will get your seats to yourselves, I would say if they are still free at this stage you would have a good chance, every time we have flown with Virgin the flights have been absolutely full and only once were we able to upgrade to premium economy because they were all taken too. On our first trip to LV we booked with Expedia and in the small print which I missed to read! was a note that our seats were not confirmed and when we arrived at the airport to return to UK they told me and my husband we had to sit miles of rows apart!! Well, I kicked up a complete fuss and got the extra leg room seats without paying any extra. On our upcoming trip I have booked economy going out sitting right at the back in a 2 seater set up with the hope of a cheapish upgrade when we check in and PE coming home.

I completely agree with you about night flights and I found especially from LV it feels like that no sooner have you set off the lights are dimmed and you should be going to sleep, not so easy in an uncomfortable seat though!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you all!

Loopy

England
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

The seats arent guarenteed that I can confirm.

On my last trip in Nov on the return part I had selected a window seat, but ended up with an aisle seat (full flight). Wasnt all bad as it was back row (which I like) and to make matters better I met someone awesome (who I am going to meet up again and this trip) had such a laugh with her the whole journey, just never got any sleep hehe

On the way out on that journey I had a window seat, but flight was very empty, so as soon as belt lights went out I got up and moved to the back row window seat and had it all to myself, just had to remember to put a blanket over my feet so that I didnt knock everyone out when I took my shoes off :)

How many seats showing free before the flight is a good indication of how full or not the flight will be. I even look the day b4 I fly (week sunday) so if there alot of seats to choose from, its pretty good chance it will be a quiet flight.

Good luck with those seats Nick

11 sleeps to go :)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Redimp - you are onto me...........very well worked out with the date........are you a private i?? :) I have heard about you Lincoln private i's!!!

UKTravller - yeh i think its a quiet flight alright...........will keep a check on it though every couple of days - if it gets busy all of a sudden then I could also swap seats for aisle seats as that less of a gamble...........

lincoln
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

wink... wink you will never know...........

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Red - lol, you Lincoln lasses are cheeky :)

I bet your really a stewardess and you will put the two 400 pound powerlifters either side of me, :)

London
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Nick - I'll ask you as you seem to be well informed about virgin flights. You have talked earlier about "some cheap flights at the moment" - but when. I've just looked for V flights from man to mco next early dec but they are coming out at £589.!!!!! any ideas?

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

Floridas,

Virgin and BA both have flights under £200 over atlantic this Janurary...............

The thing is - the prices for the last minute or late booked flights are nearly always vastly cheaper, of course the opposite can happen as the plane fills to near capacity.

Sorry, I cannot help much for such a long way off - i book all my flights within a month or two of going, hence the rates?!

You could sign up to offers like I have? Virgin and AA I am members of anyway so they send me info..........I also signed up to United and BA for email promotions and hence i get the best rates.

Sorry i can't help more, I feel like i am being completely unhelpful :(

Nick

London
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Virgin Atlantic Question - experienced fliers question......

not at all Nick, I always find you have a wealth of knowledge. As you say, its way off so I'll leave it until maybe next oct.

I'll also sign up for email promotions with various airlines, that sounds a good idea.