We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

We flew in at night, which is my fave time to see the strip from above, dad had the window seat and was in awe.

we only flew with carry on, so, we landed and were off to Dollar, we used Dollar express this time, so no line ups, simple, get off bus, go pick car, drive to strip.

Decided that instead of checking in, we would park behind Paris and just start walking, managed to get accross the street in time to see the fountains go off, he was amazed, never can explain those, they are a must see to believe how big they are.

walked down the strip and took in the Volcano which we had never seen before.

looked in at the look alike dealer tainers at IP or Harrahs, can't remember which and enjoyed listening to the dueling pianos for a couple of mins in Harrah's I believe.

Stopped by a corner store around there and bought a couple beers, dad was impressed that we could walk down the street with our beers.

went back to the Bellagio and checked out the conservatory and Chocolate fountain, then decided (midnightish) to go and check into the Orleans.

Dad was suprisingly impressed with the hotel, he thought for the money, we would be in a small little motel type of deal.

dropped our luggage in the room and went to have a late breaky before we started to play.

Mike played down $40 or so on the first BJ table and came out about even.

We played a couple of slots and then tried the big WOF (of which we didn't win anything off $20 :( ) so we called it a night and hit the hay.

Good first night for dad as he had never been here in his life before. I am certain he will be back now :)

NJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

Hi cooper,

I'm always amazed to look at the face and reaction to a first-timer in Vegas. I don't think there mouths could drop any farther as they see the sights for the first time.

Being a veteran of Vegas as yourself, I always bring along newbies and just enjoy their reactions to all of the hoopla and things that we now take for granted.

Glad to see that your Dad enjoyed his first (but probably) not his last trip to Vegas

Buzz

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

Your dad seems to like Vegas as much as you, Mike and mom do! I guess now he will become a regular.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

yes, he loves Vegas, said this was the best trip of his life. It was great to experience it with him and show him all the spots we think are the most fun ourselves. I asked him what he would show his girlfriend when he comes with her sometime, he said, everything you showed me. So, the trip was a huge success. He is not a gambler, but, was very interested in leaning about how everything works. Went for Craps lessons... I left very confused about ten mins in, dad lost it after about twenty mins and Mike seems to have the gist of it. That game has far too many rules to get at one lesson, I suspect if I went to four lessons, I might start to get all the rules.

4. Re: First day in Sin City with dad-Sat Jan 20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 10:23