We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

Wife and I have been going to Vegas for Superbowl weekend for about 15 years. Have stayed at Ballys, Paris, Harrah's, TI, Frontier(ugh), Desert Inn(sigh). This year, we are trying to go economical, so we booked the Golden Nugget for Fri, Sat, and MGM West Wing for Sun, Mon, because the MGM was the only decent strip hotel that wasn't $300+ per night. Well, rates on the strip are coming down, so now I have a reservation for MGM WW for $210 (before tax total for two nights) and Mandalay Bay for $240. We've never been to either, which one is nicer, better value? Thanks in advance for your input!

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

I have stayed in a standard room at Mandalay Bay and have been in a West Wing room at MGM. I prefer MGM as a hotel but between the two rooms, I would stay with Mandalay Bay. Their rooms are quite large, and the West Wing room is not so large. They are modern, but not spacious. We had 4 people very comfortable in the MB room. If it was a Grand Tower room instead of West Wing, I would vote on MGM just for the hotel itself, but between the two you have, I'd stay with MB.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
821 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

As a Mandalay lover, I would usually recommend for anyone to stay there- but for the Super Bowl maybe MGM would be a more "lively" time. Mandalay is a bit calmer, it has large rooms and fantastic bathrooms. I have always had a great experience at MB in all aspects. I have never stayed at MGM, so it depends on what you are looking for...

BH3
Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

that's a great rate at MGM, where did you get it?

MA
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

Use the links at the top of the page in the advertisements. Some good rates!

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

Be aware that the MGM West Wing rooms are modern, small, dark, and don't offer a lot of bathroom privacy. Some find them quiet, romantic and soothing, while others prefer more spacious digs.

Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

BH3-

MGM West Wing rate was the maximum escape package on the website. Rates have changed almost daily, sometimes up/sometimes down, but we locked in at $159 for Sunday and $69 for Monday, then Sunday dropped to $139, so I called for an adjustment. Regular rooms were even less!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

Stratton is right - there are mixed reviews here about the West Wing. We're in the group that like it. From our Trip Report posted on Jan 4:

"We arrived at our MGM West Wing room. There have been mixed reviews of these rooms. Our impressions: very stylish and remarkably efficient use of 25% less room than MGM's Grand Tower rooms; cabinet flush flat screen tv (not flat panel) and a separate small television in the shower area mirror (which appears to float in the mirror) add to the modern look; roomy closet, modern free safe with digital code of one's choice, extremely comfortable king bed, two blinds (to keep out the Emerald City green light), and a large shower which easily accommodates two all make the room very upscale in our opinion. Granted, two people sharing this room really should be romantically involved with each other; otherwise, the small room size could make for a less than ideal experience. I couldn't imagine sharing the room with anyone but [my girlfriend], but it was perfect for us.

True, as reported here many times, the hallways are long, VERY long! But, hey, after eating all that food, hiking the hallways isn't necessarily a bad thing. We were also impressed at how quiet the rooms were. We never heard our neighbors, except when we were walking the halls we could easily hear room conversations from the hallway. Interesting. Apparently, the walls are well insulated; the doors just aren't!"

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

It depends on what is more important to you: size or style. The West Wing rooms look great but I couldn't handle being in a room that small (it's the window that really turns me off, so tiny and above the headboard of the bed (I like being able to wake up and look out the window from the bed- with a strip view!) The windows at Mandalay Bay are huge and the rooms are a good size but I'm not overly fond of the Decor, it's a little to "beach-house" for me. Maybe you could try and get a great rate at THEhotel, then you could have both space and style, sometimes their rates are just as good as regular Mandalay Bay's.

9. Re: MGM Grand West Wing vs Mandalay Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 09:17