We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxis

Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Water taxis

Heard a negative story about the overcharges on the water taxi. I remember it being just $5 from where you boarded to anywhere you departed and I could do it with my luggage and move from place to place that way.

The story involved extra charges added because "tony" went in the opposite direction first and some other overcharge issues.

How should one plan a river taxi ride.

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxis

I believe it is four bucks a pop and fifteen for the entire day.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxis

I think Grif is correct on the price.

I have never had any issues in regards to the fare. Could be just a case of the captain and passenger rubbing each other the wrong way.

Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxis

Thanks. If the prices are still standard, then I'd be okay going there. If they have to be negotiated with "tony" I won't be. I won't mention this person's name, but she is not a fly by night Laughlin gambler. She writes about gambling and set me up with a host in the Edgewater a few years ago even though I am a low roller. Strange.

Well, thanks.

I may get out there again one of these trips. Not next one. Too booked up.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxis

I have never seen or heard of any extra charges being added. I have gone the wrong way and got an extra long ride- no added charges. Now I have never seen anyone with luggage, but I don't remember any signs about that issue either. I always throw in an extra dollar or two as I board in the tip jar.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Mount Pocono
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxis

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Laughlin. Nothing has changed. It is still $4.00 each way per person, or $15.00 pp for an all day pass.

During one trip on the water taxi, there were two women that asked if they could get on and ride even though the taxi was going in the opposite direction of their destination. The captain didn't have a problem with that. I think if it is very crowded, he might not allow it.

There were several times the taxi was at full capacity.

Have fun and good luck!

VegasSue

Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxis

Great information everyone. I like it. I guess my friend's experience is an abberation.

Bullhead City...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Water taxis

Yes, I am captain Tony, and I operate the water taxis. I remember your friend and the charges in question. Basically, the fares are $4.00 for one way, and $8.00 for round trip, if you choose to stay on until you again reach your starting point. The fares reset on each end. One way up, one way down. We are often too busy to arbitrarily take people regardless of their destination, and trained to ask customers which direction they are headed, or which hotel they would like as their destination. This is so we can most efficiently move traffic in the proper direction as we are limited in space. If the customers choose to stay on the boat after reaching one end, they are charged an additional one way fare to go in the opposite direction. Your friend did not reply when asked her destination, and simply claimed she was just getting on the boat. After she did not exit the boat at the north end of my route, she was accordingly charged the additional one way fare to go in the opposite direction.

I hope this clarifies how we operate.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
85 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water taxis

My experience on the water taxis (2 visits) has been great! The river runs so fast, it takes much skill to maneuver the taxis to the docks. Add to the mix a bunch of drunk/drinking folks who don't listen very well and the job becomes more difficult. I took the taxi round trip last Friday night from the Riverside to Harrahs and the taxis were totally full with people (think River Regatta) being left on the docks for the next ride. Bugs on the taxi were annoying; fruit flies attracted to all the alcohol? Then you can also add in all the boats and other water toys flying around, the captains earn their tips. A big thank you for keeping us safe and for getting us to our destination!

Cardiff, South Wales
Level Contributor
540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water taxis

Never had a problem with the water taxis, in fact last time we went on one the Captain forgot to pull into the hotel where we had asked to stop so we had an additional ride which we didn't mind and obviously weren't charged any extra.

Averill Park, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water taxis

All reassuring answers. If I can ever get to laughlin again, I'll ride again and be certain to tell my destination. Thanks Tony for the details.