We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

Which Reno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

anyone?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

Hi JoLee,

It was a little side-trip and interesting the first time we visited Reno. We had fun, but no more special trips have been made. I also recall that it didn't take that long to see it all and we drove around quite a bit. But we were glad to do it once. One of our group members loved it and we had to pull her out of the Bucket of Blood......

Regards,

Zydeco

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

I love VC. The last 2 trips I did the bus trip like you. But all other years we drove. On the bus trip they don't give you enough time to really go around and see the sites.I could spend days in VC . There is the truckie train that goes all around some old mines. there are wild horses all over, there are lots of churches with there tall "roofs"?Steeples to explore inside and out. And of course the ols cemetaries, they are really something to see ,there's lots to see tons of history. There is a little leather shop at the end of the main street. VERY VERY cheap leather goods.There are little shops to go in. It is very interesting but as I said the bus trip is too short to see everthing I think it is 2 hrs. You should at least see it once...Brenda

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

Thanks all, I guess we will go have a look. Hubby likes Old things. lol

What is Bucket of Blood?? a Tavern?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

The "Bucket of Blood" is a famous saloon, but there are several other saloons in the same area.

Be sure to wear some very comfortable and sturdy walking shoes, as Virginia City has wooden sidewalks that can be quite uneven.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

It really is worth the trip. I have been 4xs and always find something new. It is worth doing some research about the Comstock and such so you will understand what you will be seeing. TLC did a 3 part series on Virginia City and it is amazing how much VC influenced the world back than and for today.

Mark Twain was a writer for the newspaper in VC and that is where he coined the name Mark Twain.

There is much to appreciate if you know about it. Like at the Silver Queen Salon, the is a painting of The Silver Queen and her dress is made out of gold and silver coins. This is worth a fortune and shows just how much money there really was in VC. It just hangs on the wall of the salon with out much of an explanation. It is stuff like this that goes unrealized and unappreciated by most tourist.

I find most of the tourist information is on the commercial stuff, not on the historical part of VC.

Here is a link you should check out before you go. Scroll down and read about Virginia City.

www.postcardsfrom.com/travt/travt-nv.html

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

I just remember the The History Channel also had a show on The Comstock Lode and went to check it on their website. It just happens that they are running a show tonight on The Comstock Lode, Modern Marvels at 7pm, 4-11. Hopefully you have The History Channel.

www.history.com/shows.do…

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

Sorry, I meant 4-12, not 4-11.

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

Hey, if you can believe it, we arranged for two full nights in Virginia City (that turned out to be more than we needed, but it was still kinda cool). It feels like you are in an old western town. By giving it a good amount of time we were able to stay in one of the oldest hotels in VC (the oldest was a little bit away from the main city) and see every little place, gamble and drink in Bucket of Blood and other places, eat at this great Chinese Restaurant there, meet some locals in some downstairs bar where they had all brought a bunch of meet to bbq in an afterhours gathering (and they let us hang there with them), took a trainride to the older area, and a tour of one of their "mansions" and saw the old schoolhouse. There is a lot of history to learn about in all of the things we saw, so I was really glad to see it.

Go.

9. Re: Virginia City is it Worth the Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 02:18