We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Which Reno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

I mean anything besides Rocks, Tumbleweeds and Winnemucca.

I am being sentenced to work in Elko for at lest 4 months. Just wanting to know if there is any kind of 'Resort' by a lake or somewhere that is somewhat interesting where I can meet up with my wife on weekends between Reno and Elko.

It could even be a little rustic lodge like area with a decent place to eat...anything...Please.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Four month. Wow.

Try www.travelnevada.com which has a section called "Cowboy Country" highlighting that section of the state. It has links to all the visitor guides and such for that stretch of road. Check it out?

travelnevada.com/uploads/…20Guide.pdf

They also have an Adventure Guide which I think also addresses that neck of the woods.

Good luck.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Any chance your sentence can be reduced for good beahavior? I have made that drive many times, and I never saw anything that would make me want to stop. Lovelock and Battle Mountain are a couple of larger towns- but not much there.

How about you drive to Salt Lake and the wife fly from Sacramento to SLC? Salt Lake City is a lovely city with lots to see and do.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Zydeco,

Thanks for the link. We may try to hit a couple of the events listed on that site. I have to be honest though, when it says that Elko is the hub of activity for the region it makes me a little skeptical.

Swede,

We have only been through SLC and never actually stopped. So yes that is on my list for at least one weekend.

We will probably do our favorite little lodge in North Lake Tahoe a couple times but that is a long drive after a 10 hour day. Was hoping for something...ANYthing... a couple hours west of Elko.

<<Any chance your sentence can be reduced for good beahavior?>>

Ha...not hardly...in fact, if I behave too good they'll probably keep me there for the duration of the project, 9 months.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

1st prize: a week in Elko

2nd prize: 2 weeks in Elko

3rd prize: 4 months in Elko

Edited: 20 June 2012, 06:37
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

I'm glad I didn't enter that contest. I've driven that stretch more times then I like to think, and there is just nothing out there. I am surprised at what civilization there is because I always wonder where the people live that work at these places.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Last year, late May, in Cedar City, we woke up to heavy snow. Drove west, then north to Elko, and west to Reno. Being our first time in the Basin, it was actually scenic, driving over a mountain range, then through a valley, then another range, another valley,etc. Snow-capped peaks helped the view.

Nothing I'd want to do again, though.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Too late to edit, but I meant Ely vs Elko. Never been on I-80, east of Fernley.

No wonder my drive was more scenic.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

Wolfdog- I know about the edit deal. I could not change my "beahavior" in post #2 -- oh well.

Actually, Elko is a pretty nice town. It is the biggest thing going for hundreds of miles, so it is somewhat of a regional town. They have some nice Basque restaurants also.

Disclaimer: I own some land in Elko County.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

CaSwede,

Has it changed since I spent a night there 19 years ago?

Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there Anything between Reno and Elko???

It hasn't changed in the 20+ years I've been driving past, but I don't usually stop there so those are views from I-80.