We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and photography in a October

northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking and photography in a October

I am coming to Reno / Tahoe area in mid October, and would appreciate any recommendations for hikes and places to take photos in the area. Would limit hikes to the moderate variety, not more than 1,000 ft elevation gain, less than 5 - 6 miles.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

Hi kg2005. Sorry this site doesn't receive a lot of responses. I am more familiar with Yosemite. However, the drive and views around Lake Tahoe are spectacular. I have taken a hike by Emerald bay. You cannot miss the signs. Another short hike I did on the north of Lake Tahoe was to a fire look-out post. Did in October and ha a little snow come down that afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

Best place to check out the fall colors do some shoots and be closae to Reno is ths meadows near the sunnit of Mt. Rose Highway. Just go up Mt. Rose Highway (see a map) and go to the summit and just past ( can't miss it) is the meadows. You can hike and its not too hilly and the seceney this time of year is great!

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

thanks for the advice

looking forward to the trip

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

Some of the best fall color viewing in Calfornia is the Hope Valley. It is located on Hwy 88-- about a 40 minute drive from South Lake Tahoe. Do an internet search for Hope Valley Fall colors and see if that is what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

Hope this is not too late. We hike like crazy around Reno. I suggest north of Truckee in the Gold Lakes region and around Graeagle. Gorgeous country. Also off of Mt Rose Hwy. Hope you have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Truckee
Truckee
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
6. Re: Hiking and photography in a October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:18