We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacation east coat w/horseback riding

rhode island
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
family vacation east coat w/horseback riding

We are looking for a resort on east coat that has horseback riding and hiking, etc. with nice facilities similar maybe to dude ranch type resorts out west. Any suggestions?

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family vacation east coat w/horseback riding

I don't think you will find the same kind of ranch atmosphere on the east coast, most resorts of this type don't have the larger herds of cattle or the acreage needed for simulated cattle drives, etc. But there is a nice family run resort in Troy NH, Inn at East HIll Farm, they have riding, hiking, and all the other outdoor kinds of things you might be looking for. Plus they are in a great area on NH with scenic villages, covered bridges and nice regional shopping, might be worth a look.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family vacation east coat w/horseback riding

It's definitely not the same as the west coast; I've been out there a few times and definitely know exactly what you're looking for.

The Balsams pairs up with Blazing Saddles resort where you ride Tennessee Walkers and your guide leads the way up into the back country where you enjoy the Balsams 15,000 acre "back yard". This is where you ascend gentle terrain on dirt roads and logging trails through a lush green forest. You'll get glimpses of Mt. Abeniki and you just might see Peregrine Falcons, which makes the cliffs their home. There's tons of panoramic view points to see the beautiful picturesque scenery. There's hiking trails through here as well.

Just check either one of these sites:

www.balsams.com

www.blazingsaddlesnh.com

Other than that, there's other resorts in New Hampshire to stay at besides these two here of course, as the previous poster mentioned. There's "The Farm By The River" in No. Conway that's incredible and Happiness Farm in Freedom, NH that you could check out;

www.farmbytheriver.com

www.happinessfarm.com

One last suggestion for you. If these resorts in NH really don't appeal to what you had in mind, then if I were you? I'd post this same question you have in the Virginia forum on TA, and narrow it down to "horse country" which is their Shenadoah county area of VA., because I'm quite sure you'll find it very interesting and who knows, you just might be taking a trip there one of these days; so don't forget to check that state's forum out as well.

Wherever you decide to stay on the east coast? Have a wonderful time!

3. Re: family vacation east coat w/horseback riding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Colebrook