We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in New Hampshire

Which Concord hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
springfield,Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
weather in New Hampshire

I am looking at moving to NH from Illinois. Illinois has a lot of heat and terrible humidity in the summer. I know that the summers there are shorter and a little cooler, but is there humidity?

pkmac

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in New Hampshire

Yes, we do sometimes have humidity although it usually is fairly short term- several days at most. It does seem the past few years our weather has changed, Not as much snow but longer rain season. Not sure if its just a fluke or indication of global changes.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in New Hampshire

I moved here from the Hudson River Valley several years ago and while I won't say that NH has no humidity, it is significantly less than the Hudson River Valley area. As with many things it's all in what you are used to, we have never experienced the same degree of humidity in NH as we were used to, I don't think the summers are really shorter as the Sept weather is usually very nice with warm days and cooler nights.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in New Hampshire

The weather in NH can vary widely depending on the area of the state. The seacoast can be the coolest and least humid in summer and the mountains can be sweltering. Winters have been milder (less snow) than past few years and summers hotter (more humid). Good news is that we don't seem to get tornados, earthquakes, mud slides or forest fires. It really is a pretty good place to live.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in New Hampshire

I have lived in Illinois (Peoria) and Indiana, and also in Washington, DC, and summers here are definitely less humid. As has been noted, the last few summers seem to have gotten hotter and more humid, but I think that is the case elsewhere, too. So still, by comparison, it is less humid here. By the way, I moved here from DC to get away from the heat and humidity. When folks here complain of the heat and humidity, I laugh knowing how much worse it can be.

Generally speaking, even on most hot days, the evenings cool off so that a fan is all you need for comfortable sleeping. We use window fans which really draw in the cool evening air. We have an air conditioner in one bedroom, which we used to use about 2 - 5 nights a summer, but now might be a bit more. The kids pile into our room and sleep on the floor.

Typically, we get a 90+ heat spell that lasts 2 - 3 days, compared with the week long 90+ high humidity heat spells in the midwest that typically last 5 - 7 days. Again, this has been a bit more extreme the last few years, but more extreme elsewhere, too.

Most homes don't have central air conditioning or window units for each room or to cool the whole house.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in New Hampshire

I lived in Chicago for about 5 years, and there is simply no comparison between NH and Chicago. We do not get that horrid oppressive heat and humidity. One interesting note is that there are a reasonable number of people who do not have air conditioning in their homes (try that in Chicago!). My greatest pleasure in New England is that winters are not nearly as bitter as Chicago -- and better yet, New England is fun in the winter -- I took up skiing and enjoy the mountains as much in February as in July.

6. Re: weather in New Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Concord
More Concord Topics