We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franconia Notch Loop hike view vs. Cannon Mtn Aerial Tram

Which Franconia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Franconia Notch Loop hike view vs. Cannon Mtn Aerial Tram

IF time permitted, I would love to hike the Franconia Notch Loop....but, alas, it does not this time. Was wondering how the view from the Cannon Mtn Aerial Tramway would compare? If it is in the same ballpark, would the tram be a good investment of time? thanks!

Also, any comments on Flume Gorge?

Beverly...
Level Contributor
264 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franconia Notch Loop hike view vs. Cannon Mtn Aerial Tram

I can't really comment on the Franconia Notch loop hike, but if you're looking for a nice view, the Artist's Bluff trail at the northern end of Franconia Notch is a very short, but steep, trail to an exposed bluff with views down into the notch. I've done the hike several times, and it's always beautiful. You can park in the Echo Lake parking lot, walk back to the road and cross to the opposite side. The trail starts shortly before you get back to the highway.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franconia Notch Loop hike view vs. Cannon Mtn Aerial Tram

Did you get that book yet? Hope so. Generally, I think any hike is preferable to any tram ride. There are occasions when, if you can't hike, the tram may be a fair alternative, but I'd pick a nice hike over a tram. As the above poster noted, Artist Bluff is a great view of the notch, and is a very easy hike. The Franconia loop trail is a very rigorous hike. You would need lots of gear, and unless you are very fit athletes, you'd likely not make it up, over and down. The weather on the ridge trail can be very dicey. I've seen snow there in late August.

So, the tram if you really need to -- but I think you'll be happier on a summit you hiked yourselves, even if it's not as high. I can't recall if in the last message I suggested Willard and Pemmigewasset, but they're both fantastic views for small effort (relative to the Franconia Loop).

3. Re: Franconia Notch Loop hike view vs. Cannon Mtn Aerial Tram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 08:16