We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franconia Notch

Nashua, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Franconia Notch

My husband & I are planning our first kid-free vacation since becoming parents 5 years ago. We decided on Franconia Notch because we both recently got into hiking and heard great reviews and it's still close enough to home, but far enough away where we still feel like we are on vacation. We are spending the weekend, and want to plan a day of hiking/sightseeing at/near the Notch for Saturday. What are the must-see hiking paths? We are both average-fit and want something that will keep our interest all day. We are ok with either one trail that will let us see a lot, or multiple trails as long as they all leave from the same place. It's our first time up, so any tips would be great (and if anyone has any suggestions on where to eat around the area, that would be nice too!) Thank you!

Flume Gorge
Geologic Formations, Waterfalls, Historic Walking Areas
Cannon Mountain
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
4 replies to this topic
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franconia Notch

I would recommend Mt. Pemigewasset and Lonesome Lake for hikes. You can Google both, each is about 3 hours for a quick hiker, more if you're taking your time. You might also consider hiking up to the Greenleaf Hut. I would not continue to the summit of Lafayette considering your experience level. You could consider hiking to the summit of Cannon from Lonesome Lake if you're feeling fresh after getting to the lake.

Two restaurants to consider: Sunny Day Diner in Lincoln -- a great authentic diner. Cold Mountain Cafe in Bethlehem for a surprisingly tasty elegant dinner.

Have fun.

LMM

conn
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franconia Notch

the Flume is a must do hike I would also try to do Artest Bluffs an easy hike great views often huge crowds

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Franconia Notch

Listen to LoonMountainMan! My girlfriend and I just hiked to the summit of Lafayette last week and it was quite difficult for us. We also got caught in a thunderstorm on the ridge. The ascent to Greenleaf is beautiful and challenging in its own right. Save the summit for next time and prepare for it!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
166 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franconia Notch

I know my son likes hiking in the area as well as on 302, he hikes to see waterfalls which you can do a search to find. Last year we spent a week in Franconia and did a number of short hikes in the area, the notch, the Kancamagus and North Conway. We needed to keep them short for health reasons so anything that was longer than 1/2 mile in we did not do. Heading up again this fall but not sure if we will be able to do anything longer this year. Enjoy your time.

Reply to: Franconia Notch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted