We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

Save yourself a headach and avoid any of the Bolyea properties which are the Kentville, Ships Inn Resort, and Sea Spiral Suites. They are theives and have the worst managment of any hotel I have stayed at and I am a frequent traveler. We had car trouble and called The Ship's Inn early to let them know we would be a day late. They told us no problem but they would be keeping our deposit. The supposed general manager actually laughed at the fact that we were out $130. We did call back and found out they did rent out our room that night. When we called the next morning to confirm we would be there they said too bad the man we talked to canceled our whole reservation and they had already rented out our room for the whole week we reserved it for. They refused to refund our deposit since they could not render the services the deposit was there for. We in the end could not get a room since it was Saturday and everything booked up. So much for our 18 hour trip to the sea coast. I talked to upper managment after having the second man I talked to give me a fake name and the phone number to Domino's pizza instead of the upper managment number. I was told too bad even with proof of our repair bill and their error they never ever return deposits. He even said he has had families cry and send him death certificates and he has never given back a deposit and never will. Kind of sad that people like that exhist but they do so beware.

Ang

B M
Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

Dear Ms or Mrs,

My name is Boyko Manev and I am really not happy with what I have just read in this forum. I am also a frequant traveller not only on the East Coast but also and on the West Coast . I have worked for Boleyea Properties for 3 consecutive summers in the Front Office Department as a Front Desk Clerk. For me as an employee, who have been into a lot of similar situations, when deposit is involved that story really sounds quite unusual. If you have once called the Front Desk and you were told that the room will be kept for you for the other days until the end of your reservation, it is impossible for one to cancel it for the whole period. About the cancelation policy please read the web site info.

http://www.shipsinnresort.com/rates.html

You shoud have received also and a confirmation letter or e-mail in which it is really clarified when the cancelation policy apply.

It is not fair to blame the other, when there is not an obstacle stating why and what... it is like asking why the wind is so storng when there is nothing but some cold air involved ... it is useless to do so.

I hope that you will have a chance to check and the other hotels on the beach and to check for yourself what is the difference between the Ships Inn and some other fire-boxes on the Beach. A lot of kids from all around New England are coming each summer with their families, just like it used to be in the past 40 - 50 years, and posts like that will not help them when taking a decision for the next summer.

You are affected and that is obvious - but is it worthing ? Remember - A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

I know that my post will not help you in any way, but my wishes are to make the other people not so agresive when planning their vacation.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a life.

22. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 17:23
Leominster
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

Well, I just read all of these posts and I know where I won't be going in July. I find it funny that the hotel is worried about losing business on a weekend. People search high and low for a vacancy sign to be lit at Hampton during the summer. How do I know this? Well I have frequented the beach for 37 years. Then if you do have an opening, I am pretty sure there is a main line you call to make it know your room is available. I can't think of the name of the dept in Hampton, but I know I have used it in the past. I think it's pretty pathetic this guy has lowered himself to come on tripadvisor to "defend" his motel. Also, I take more than a "grain of salt" with the advice on Trip Advisor. Not all of these write ups are "fake" or have multiple names. Every bit of advice that I have gotten on here has been right on. I always right glowing posts if I am treated right and I have a good time. Sorry, your establishment did not make the grade to us folks. I understood the first post and why they were upset. It was not the DEPOSIT, it was the FACT they stated the rest of her time spent there the room will be held and they lied! Also, if I was the business owner and say if I ended up renting the room that was canceled, I would give back the deposit to the person if they arrived for the rest of the week or whatever. That is called double dipping my friend. If I could not book it, then ya, it's fair to take the money. Not to mention, these folks came from Chicago! That is pathetic you did not accomadate them for your mistake. Why would they DRIVE all the way here if they did not THINK they had the room for their reservations?? We as consumers understand the "cancellation policies". Maybe you should understand the right way to do business. It's not always cut throat. People remember the bad things and will tell others about that experience. You should know this as a management company. You as a business man, I am sure you know people like us who go to Hampton Beach, because it's affordable for families and most likely could not afford to pay a lawyer for small claims court or feel we should spend our money on something more important. My sense is you know this already and as a figure of speech, bank on it, so you have no qualms about keeping the money. Something else tells me you are a carpetbagger who has probably never grew up in Hampton as a kid, so you will NEVER understand the sadness people feel when they see such a great vacation destination go to hell, because of money hungry folks like your company. There is NO excuse for dirty rooms and lack of customer service and it seems that is what you find in most of the motels in Hampton. Instead of "defending your property" you should be asking us "how can we do better for you". That goes a long way bub.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

JM, not that I disagree with your sentiments, but please note that you have just responded to a thread that begain in 2005 and has not been added to for more than 7 months before your addition. This brings the thread back up to the top of the discussion (unfortunately, so does my note to you.) Perhaps old threads deserve to be read -- without additional remarks that rekindle a very old discussion.

LMM

Leominster
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

Hello LoonMountainMan, since Hampton is a summer vacation place, don't you think it makes sense no one has added to this thread for seven or so months? It sure does to me. Now it's summer and I am reading the reviews on hotels in Hampton, because I am going in July. Last I checked there was no date limit on writing an opinion and I felt strongly about making my opinion known on this thread after I took the time to read each an every review. Isn't that what this forum is about? Not that I have to explain my reasoning to you in the first place.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

jm, others may not have read as carefully as you to realize that the original complaint on this hotel is 2 years old. I guess what I did not express very elegantly is that people should be aware that this post -- on the top of the pile -- is based on an experience that is now a bit old -- and who knows, maybe things have improved and the hotel deserves a fresh start.

Of course you're free to post in any thread at any time, but we all have a responsibility to be careful with comments that can translate to loss of income for a hotel that may -- or may not -- deserve the negative attention.

27. Re: Beware of Bolyea properties-ships Inn, Knetville, and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:19