We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay near Dartmouth College

Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
stay near Dartmouth College

I am looking for a nice place to stay near Dartmouth College for what may be our last visit. Has anyone ever stayed at Trumbull House or Jackson House Inn in Woodstock? Has anyone ever eaten at the latter? other suggestions for hotel or dining?

Hanover, New...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: stay near Dartmouth College

Trumbull House is a family owned B&B - the rooms are lovely and I have heard that breakfast is tasty. Definately convenient to downtown.

The Jackson house is just North of the Village of Woodstock, VT - not a fun drive especially in the winter. It has an outstanding dining room that has received many excellent reviews. The Inn changed ownership sometime last year and I haven't heard anything negative, but the chefs may have moved on. A real treat is Home Hill in Plainfield, NH. It is a gorgeous restored Inn with execptional meals. It is located on a "river road" which adds to the beauty - a real European feel. Not to miss are the Inn's neighbors - all in walking distance - Small, family run MacNamara Dairy which sells bottles of the most amazing cold chocolate milk and Edgewater Farms with their "pick your own" strawberries, raspberries, blueberies, apples and even sunflowers..... oh and pumpkins too! To get to Dartmouth College you would have to travel Rt 12A in West Lebanon, NH. This is the "Upper Valley's" box store strip. It can be annoying during peak traffic time but otherwise Hanover is only about 20 minutes away. The Inn's owner is an efficient and gracious man from France, but he does have a bit of an ego (depending on your personal reactions to ego heads - I have found it amusing). There are many great places to rest your bones and fill your tummy in this area. I have always heard and observed that Dartmouth folk can't stay away forever.....

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay near Dartmouth College

I stayed at the Trumbull House about 3 yrs ago when a relative was in the Medical Center. They were gracious, welcoming, the breakfast was perfect, and the location and setting were country like but close to town. Most of all the hostess more concerned with my comfort than with getting my credit card in order to hold the last minute reservation. Other motels in the area demanded payment while I was calling from the hospital room. It was a haven in the midst of a troubling time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay near Dartmouth College

I just returned from a 3-day weekend at the Home Hill Inn and couldn't recommend it more! It is a real gem of a B&B, very unexpectedly elegant and luxurious. Had dinner there one night and was just floored...

I have heard good things about the dining room at the Jackson House... if you decide to eat there, will you post about it? I'm looking for a location at which to host a rehearsal dinner for a wedding in March of next year in that area and could use all of the tips and reviews I can get. :)

Good luck to you!

4. Re: stay near Dartmouth College

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:23