We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A lot of Questions

NolaGirl1624
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
A lot of Questions

Ok so i plan to come to NH/VT/ME in mid january...here's my questions?? i was contemplating flying into portland and driving to jackson to stay and ski. 1) how long is the drive? 2) I'm from the south, am I going to kill someone trying to drive in snow/sleet/ice that time of year? 3) are there any nice places under $200 a night to stay really close to the slopes? i would like to be able to wake up and walk to ski...but wake up in a nice hotel. ALSO should i think about any other cities? Its my first time skiing but i'd really like to go to a resort type place. I would be willing to fly into burlington and go to stowe but all the hotels i found were $400 a night. are there any other nice resort towns in NH or VT close to the airports or in ME?? Thanks for any help you can give

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A lot of Questions

Hi NolaGirl. I am heading down that way in October. Can't wait. I'll be posting my questions, soon.

I don't know the ins and outs of hotels, etc. But, as for driving, snow/sleet/ice are only a problem when it is actually coming down. Most of the time it isn't, and the roads are clean and clear. So driving is not a problem. Be aware of the weather. I am a bit of a weather geek, and like WMUR TV, the ABC affiliate in NH. They do the best weather reporting for the state, both on TV and on line. NH is a small state, but weather patterns can be very different across different parts of the state.

Also, I hear what you are saying about skiing and a resort, but as yoiu say, you are a beginner. Most of the mountains cater to a range of ski levels, including beginners. I do not know the ones in Jackson well, so cannot comment on that. But, as a beginner, and if you find the prices too high, consider a less "glamorous" ski area, and possibly one that expecially caters to beginners and families. For instance, Gunstock in Gilfford, Mt. Sunapee near New London, Pat's Peak in Henniker, Crotched Mt. in Bennington. And there are others. I don't know that you will find a resort. But the state has many beautiful Bed and Breakfasts and Inn that are very attractive and many with a range of amenities. The drive will be less than Jackson, expecially if you fly into Manchester, NH. Scenically, Jackson and the Whites are beautiful, but so are these areas.

I know you will get a lot of specific Jackson suggestions, so I offer the above as an alternative. Neither better nor worse, especially considering that you are a beginner.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A lot of Questions

Nola,

A few things -- first, if you're traveling over President's Day weekend, it will be very pricy... this is the biggest weekend of the year, so hotel get crazy money. If you can travel midweek, you should find hotels ready to give you a great deal -- most of them are sold out on weekends -- and empty mid-week.

New England has vert few ski-in ski-out accommodations -- and very few newer hotels... so new & ski-in/out is realy rare (can't think of any!)

Where to stay? I can't say -- Sunday River is a nice ski area for sure... town's a bit quiet. I think I saw on your other post that you're a novice skier -- so be sure to take some lessons -- they're fun -- and you'll enjoy skiing much more.

LMM

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A lot of Questions

Ok, you can't have everything cheap,nice and close to slopes. So pick 1 (maybe 2). Closest to a true ski in out resort in the East is Stratton in Vt and Tremblant in Quebec. Other places with on site lodging are Loon, Waterville Attitash, and Bretton Woods. But there is not so much to do that you will stay at the resort. Around N. Conway, there are a number of resorts and all will take care of beginners. The nightlife is in Jackson, Glen, North Conway (all very close to each other) so if you stay in any of these towns and drive a few minutes, it will not be a big deal. Don't want to carry the skis-- many places have very inexpensive overnight lockers/valet. My advise- maximize your dollars by skiing at a resort tupe place but sleep off the resort and save lots of money.

BTW- you don't say how long you are staying. There are many great places for weekly rentals on sites like vrbo.com and cyberrental.com

4. Re: A lot of Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Jackson
Recent Conversations