We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After the Pumpkin Festival?

Which Keene hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
After the Pumpkin Festival?

Will be in Keene this week - are the pumpkins still out on display or are they taken down after the event?

9 replies to this topic
Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

I believe it is all gone...off to the pig farmers for some happy pigs :)

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

The pumpkins get smashed into the streets every year by the college kids. Something the townies all hate :)

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

Tderosier

I think that used to be a problem but is not a big issue anymore. The festival used to go later into the evening with the fireworks finale and drunk kids had an opportunity for mischief as the crowds dwindled. However, the organizers have disguised big dumpsters throughout Main Street and when the festival ends promptly at 8:30, there is one last final competition they ask participants to partake in:

The Pump(kin) Dump Derby 8:30pm

A race to clean up Pumpkin Festival involving competing teams, lottery-assigned territories, and prizes.

If what you say is still a problem, I have not heard about it in several years.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

LittleRiverBB, what a clever approach to solving a problem! Great name, too!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

Hey, LittleRiverBB, have you heard any news of Pumpkin Chunkin returning to action in Greenfield?

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

Hey NSI, hope you are doing well! I have not heard anything about Yankee Siege starting back up...although I wish he would. Have you heard anything? I do miss it!

BTW, have you tried the new restaurant in Greenfield (River House Cafe)?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

Went to Riverhouse this past Sunday. Food was great. It is a very interesting and creative menu. Most or all ingredients are local and/or organic. The kitchen is very, though. So come prepared to hang out for awhile.

Keene, New Hampshire
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

LittleRiverBB is 100% right. The Pumpkin Dump Derby has become a highlight of Pumpkinfest. Many of the College's Philanthropic organizations, to include Tau Kappa Epsilon, participate.The majority of the money raised by these campus organizations is donated to causes such as the American Cancer foundation, and St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 14:34
Keene, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After the Pumpkin Festival?

The pumpkins are carted away, the streets are not coated with smashed pumpkins. The college has worked very hard to change the behavior of the students and has been pretty successful.

Reply to: After the Pumpkin Festival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted