We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life in Manchester

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Life in Manchester

Hi all, I'm a male in my late 20's, I am currently living in metro boston. I mostly like it but am sort of ready to find somewhere more affordable and quieter (but hopefulyl not too quiet) to live. From what I've heard, Manchester is a great compromise between affordability and having things to do. I'd be kind of curious to hear what the general lifestyle is like for younger/single adults in Manchester (I'd be looking to live somewhere downtown or at least in walking distance). Having originally grown up in the seacoast, I'm well aware that NH is a lot quieter than Boston, and I'd be a little worried that I'd run out of things to do/get bored. Thanks!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Life in Manchester

Manchester has been going under a revitalization in the past 10 years or so. Downtown has gotten much more lively with lots of bars, ethnic restaurants etc. Its actually starting to feel like a cosmopolitan city. Downtown is getting alot better and soon there will be a grocery store so you would actually be able to live there and get most of your needs without having to drive to the other side of town. Its still definitely not Boston and the Public Transportation is not as good, also Zipcars haven't come yet as far as I know. There are alot of young people both college and young professionals in the area, I believe there are about 6 colleges in the Greater manchester area now. Downtown and the revamped Millyard actually have some decent housing options, although I suppose cheap is a relative term as jobs tend to pay more in boston, but the rent is higher. I think for a decent 2 Bedroom apt in downtown or the Millyard you would be looking at $900- $1300 depending on how nice it is.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Life in Manchester

See, you couldn't get a 500 sq foot studio for 1000 in boston. So it's definitely affordable by my standards. Luckily I would still be in commute distance of my MA job if this came to pass. What you have to say definitely matches with everything I've heard. Thanks so much for your input, if anyone else has an opinion I'd be happy to hear that as well.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Life in Manchester

From my perspective as neither young nor single (though I am a part time musician, love good ethnic food, and grew up in NYC) I think Manchester is getting to be a pretty cool place. Carolyn_Joe's description is right on the money. Centered in Manchester, you will also find that Nashua and Concord also have some additional offerings. Check out Main Street in Nashua for more food, clubs, cafes, etc. Great Coffee House at Studio 99. Concord, in addition, has a great new cinema Red River Theater which shows the more arty films that do not make it to your mulitplex mash.

Hippo Press publishes a free tabloid size arts and music weekly paper with articles and write up, as well as music, art, stage, and other listings. They publish an edition tailored to each of the three cities.

If you move up here, you will also begin to discover that not all that is exciting is happening in the cities. Like Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, WIlton Town Hall CInema, Meadowbrook Farms Summer Concerts in Gilford (major name tours), and more.

4. Re: Life in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 20:19