We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester and about

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Manchester and about

I will be in Manchester for work in October for 4 days. I am planning on taking few more days and look around with my boyfriend. Probably 3 more days. He wants to move toward VT I want to move toward Maine. We love driving and we are thinking of driving back to WI together (on top of the 3 additional days). I would like to see some of the coast and some of the foliage, get the New England vibe. Any good idea ?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester and about

Three days is not a lot of time to cover such a broad and in teresting area. But, if you must, make a triangle - Manchester to Camden/Rockport or Bar Harbor, ME to North Conway, NH circle route in WHite Mountains, across VT to Burlington, Back to Manchester. Or, if you do decide to drive back to Wisconsin, take the ferry across Lake Champlain and head for home. Here are some ideas:

Leave Manchester on your last day of work and book a hotel in Portsmouth, NH; or maybe Ogunquit, ME. Explore the area where you will be staying. Portsmouth is a great small city with a vibrant downtown. Ogunquit is a lovely beachtown with grat places to stay overlooking the ocean.

Day 1 - Mosey up the coast, exploring and stopping as you go. You can either set another destination to stay overnight along the coast, or head inland toward North Conway area. Depending on how far up the coast you get or think you can get, determine the route and timing of the trip to NC and whether/how much of it you want to do at night vs the next day.

Day 2 - Drive and explore the White Mountains - Depending on where you spent the night, you want to get to NC and explore this basic Route - Kancamagus Hwy to Lincoln/Woodstock; I-93 north through Franconia Notch; Rte 3 east to Twin Mountain; Rte 302 south through Crawford Notch to Glen. Turn north on Rte 16 through Pinkham Notch to Rte 2 west which will take you across NH and Vermont. Spend the night in the White Mountains.

Day 3 - Drive Rte 2 across VT from St. Johnsbury to Montpelier. Take I-89 toward Burlington. Part way up, take Rte 100 north through Stowe and around Mt Mansfield to Burlington. Spend the night in Burlington, another very cool city.

Day 4 -- Continue west to WI, or head south on I-89 to Manchester, NH, about a 3 hour drive.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester and about

Well you certainly won't get an idea about living anyplace if you don't visit neighborhoods. If you spend time in and around Manchester, then would had towards Portsmouth with maybe a stop somewhere in white mountains, either NC or n. Woodstock then you will get a small taste of being a tourist.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester and about

Thank you for the great advices! I know the time we have is not enough to cover everything but I have some ideas now, thank to you, and I will research the area you suggested. If we decide to skip some places what would you absolutely not miss? I am italian, permanent resident of the US for 10 years now when someone ask me about Italy I know there are places that I want them to see if possible and not the usual Venice or Florence.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester and about

in Manchester, I like hildene and Mt equinox. in NC, Mt wash and flume. if you have time a drink on the veranda at Mt wash hotel. in Portsmouth, a ride around coast and its downtown. lobster roll at beach plum in north Hampton

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester and about

neslaw1, I assume the OP will be working in Manchester, NH, not VT. I love Hildene, too, but it will be a bit of a drive for her.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester and about

oops, got my mancheaters mixed up.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester and about

Lots of Manchesters--at least 4 in New England if we count the one near me that has had the need to distinguish itself with the addition of -by-the-sea. Easy to get confused!

8. Re: Manchester and about

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 17:15