We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on the lake

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Staying on the lake

I'm planning to spend two nights on Lake Winnipesaukee with my wife in the first half of May. We're looking for a few days of relaxation, swimming, some gentle walking, and we'd like to see something of the wider area (we will have a car). I have a few questions as this is not a part of New England we've been to before.

It would be useful to have a very rough idea of the weather in early May ... guarantees NOT required :-))) Is it likely to be sunbathing weather? Swimming in the lake, or at least an outdoor pool? Walking in T-shirts or sweaters? Umbrellas needed?

I understand there are lake cruises. Any views on these?

Is Meredith the place to stay? We have to have a big room in a good quality hotel with a gym. Church Landing looks about right, but are there others, perhaps in a remote lakeside location?

Are there any especially scenic or interesting areas around the lake? For example is the Belknap Mountain State Forest worth a visit?Or the Eames Wildlife and Recreation Area?

And finally, in the evenings are there good venues for cultural events - classical coverts, opera, folk music?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be very welcome.

12 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying on the lake

Just wanted to let you all know that we had a great stay in Meredith.

My special Druid weather rituals didn't work and the weather was disappoinitng, but Church Landing was a great hotel to stay in and the Brook Trail was amazing - the highlight of our few days.

Thanks all of you for your help. We will return ... maybe a little later in the year next time and perhaps even for Fall,

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying on the lake

Marty,

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, though disappointed to learn that Druid rituals aren't foolproof.

Reply to: Staying on the lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meredith
More Meredith Topics