We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to New Hhampshire

Barry, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
New to New Hhampshire

My wife and I have visited New England a number of times over the past few years.

We stay with friends in Manchester CT and then go off on our own for a week. We have "done" Boston (twice), Cape Code (once), Stowe VT(3 times).

We are planning our next visit and although we love Stowe, we thought we would try somewhere different. We are heading to Bar Harbor in Maine but thought of breaking our journey from Manchester to Bar Harbor and stop over around Lake Winniepauskee for a couple of days

My question is which of the towns around the lake would be most like Stowe in terms of size. We like to walk (not hike!), sit and watch the world go by, nice restaurants, decent bars (a good pint of Guinness would be a bonus).

Hope someone can help

Kieran Crossey

6 replies to this topic
NH
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to New Hhampshire

Center Harbour, and Wolfeboro are my favorites. And Meredith is a nice spot, too. Lake Winnipesaukee is a fabulous lake; one of the most beautiful you will ever see.

Be sure to buy a ticket on the SS Mt. Washington and take the 3 hour tour around the lake and to the different ports.

DO book a hotel room ASAP! You might really enjoy the Wolfeboro Inn. Their grounds are very nice; right on the lake. But do your research quickly and book right away. It is a very popular location for vacations. You will not be disappointed. Winnipesaukee is beautiful.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to New Hhampshire

Good suggestions from allfinsnmask (although I don't think there are many lodging options in Center Harbor, and not really a lot of restaurants or bars, but there are at least a couple of places, and you wouldn't have to drive far to find others).

In Meredith, the Inns at Mill Falls (http://www.millfalls.com/) are well regarded. Since I'm spoiled by having a house on the lake, I don't have any firsthand experience with renting lodgings in the area.

NH
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to New Hhampshire

I'm jealous, wpsaukee. We spent nearly 50 years boating on the lake (from the time I was just a kid). There is just no way to describe its beauty and uniqueness.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to New Hhampshire

Yes, I tell people that the best thing that ever happened to me happened years before I was born, when my grandparents bought land on Moultonborough Neck. I am indeed fortunate.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New to New Hhampshire

Manchester CT take 84 to 90 to 495 to 93

93 north to Franconia N H and Littleton N H

Then 302 East to Portland M E

Use Google MAPS to see your route.

enjoy.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to New Hhampshire

Something to consider, since it sounds like you come out here regularly, or at least can anticipate another visit. Use one trip to do Maine, and the other to do NH. Bar Harbor is great, and you could plan on a week there. But if you wanted to break up the trip, you could spend a few days in Portland, a very hip and happening city with great dining, lodging, arts, nightlife, access to the water, walking and people watching.

Then, on another trip, spend a few days on Winnipesaukee, and then a few days in the White Moountains. I would concur with Wolfeboro and Meredith as places to stay on the lake, maybe also Moultonborough. Lots to do on and around the lake. Then, in the Whites, stay in Jackson, or in North COnway, on the east side of the mountains, or Lincoln or Woodstock on the west side. So much to see and do.

Reply to: New to New Hhampshire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meredith
More Meredith Topics