We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

For anyone who wonders what its like to climb Mt. Washington on New Year's Eve, December 31, 2010. It took 3 attempts to make it to the summit... Not something I'd recommend. Here is a video from the first of these attempts, the other two are pending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4housdZL4s

Enjoy!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

thanks for sharing. I'd tell you that you were crazy but that probably isn't news. :)

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Mt Washington - winter - at night - alone

what were you thinking?

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

I was thinking I'd practice my mountaineering and navigation skills.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Thanks.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

I'm hoping that some one knew you were out there alone and was waiting to hear from you at an appointed time. Glad you are safe, but sounds kind of scarey to me.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Questions! Three attempts on same night? What trail(s) did you take. And for the people who think Washington is a walk in the woods, would you provide a list of your major gear that you took?

Moonless cloudless night?

Time to summit?

How hard was it to keep the trail above treeline?

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Yes, I was texting my boyfriend constantly, for the first two attempts. On the third attempt he was there in contact by text as well, but I lost reception for a few hours. Just when I needed it most too.

Indeed LoonMountainMan. This is not something to be taken lightly. Its not a walk in the woods. There are a hundred and one ways to die on that mountain. On my final attempt, I got lost above treeline and almost died. It was easy to keep trail on the way up. On the way back down, not so easy. First two attempts took like 6 hours each, third attempt about 8 hours? Maybe longer.

You can see from the video that I had an 80 liter pack filled with clothe and gear. Including my Denali down jacket, ie the jacket I would have worn on Denali if I didn't spend my money on school. Still, none of it was of any use to me on attempt #1 because I was expecting snow and it started to rain.

No, no. Of course I didn't try it three times in the same night. That would be a strange thing to do. I tried it on three separate nights. Lion's head trail.

Night one I didn't make it because of the rain.

Night two because of the 90 mile an hour wind and -40 temperature that may have given me hypothermia.

Night three, I made it but all righty: kids don't try this at home because on the third try I did get the summit but I almost didn't make it back down. Stay tuned for the videos.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Please find attached the video from attempt # 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDqh95DoU8

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

I'm ithe middle of reading Following Atticus.

For those who love the White Mtns and are dog lovers too, this is a must read. Hiking the 4,000 rooters is a central theme. Hiking them in winter is a part of it too. 'Nuf said. I recommend this book.

To the OP. Thanks for posting. Please continue to stress that this kind of stunt is not for the inexperienced or timid and in fact is a good way to tempt fate and risk death. Glad you survived.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Winter Night Ascent of Mt. Washington Attempt #1

Kristoria, thanks for the update. Have to admit I think you're just a little crazy, but appreciate the adventurist spirit -- and your live chronicle of your hypothermia. (Your compass was working correctly, right?)

I attempted and overnight on Washington a few years back in late October and pulled the plug when I encountered weather that was simply too cold for a comfortable overnight... camping at the base was cold enough.

RedRox -- I'll be picking up Atticus. My 9-year old lab is a great hiker, she does not do too much above treeline any more -- I worry about her pads on all the rock scrambles.

Happy hiking all...

Get answers to your questions about Mount Washington