We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mount washington and area attractions

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
mount washington and area attractions

Hi - We are a family of four looking to travel at end of July or beginning of August. Mount Washington will be on our schedule. I was there many years ago and we went up in a car. Is it better to go by car or on the tram? Our kids are 14 and 11. Also, what else is in the area to do. We will visit with relatives nearby but also want to do a few things on our own. Probably will spend 2 or 3 days depending on what we can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mount washington and area attractions

This is a good place to start getting info on your trip-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28950-i526-k30087…

Take a look and let us know what questions you may have.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Thanks - I know we want to do Mount Washington I just have to decide if we want to go up by car or by the railway? Also, I see that Alpine Adventures gets great reviews and I know our son (14) would love that but not sure of our 11 year old daughter but it looks like fun. I am going to take a look at their website. If we do those two things will probably have time for one more adventure or something fun to do with the kids? Any ideas in that area? Then we will probably head to our relatives in Merrimack area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Here is link that should keep you busy for a week and it doesn't include everything.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

some people love the tram, others the coaches. some drive and others walk to the summit. The tram takes a long time to get up and back. The coaches are quicker. Both give you limited time to actually stay at the summit. The first coach in the morning has an extended stay at the top. If you drive yourself, you can stop as you go up at various points and then stay as long as you like, plus your car gets a neat sticker. You tell me, what is best for you???

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Though it doesn't necessarily make it the "best," the cog railway is a unique experience. One of the things I remember being most struck by is that because of the steepness of the incline, you can stand in the aisle and actually lean forward from the ankles without falling.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,762 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mount washington and area attractions

I find the history of the Cog Railway to be fascinating. Moreso than any other train experience I've ever nown. But then it's on Mount Washington which is one of my favorite places in the world.

The OP has said MW will be on the schedule. I suggest that the schedule needs to be flexible and geared to the weather. Choose a day with a fair weather forecast for the mountain and a northwest wind. Good days are still rare, even in the summer. It is not unusual to encounter winter conditions at the summit.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Thanks everyone for the great information.

Redrox - Yes, we will definitely watch the weather and hope for the best. I can still remember as a kid going up the mountain and my older sister being scared to death. We would love for our kids to experience this and my husband too as he has never been to Mt. Washington.

Has anyone ever been to the Alpine Adventures (zipline) and if so how was your experience. I have always wanted to do this and I know our 14 year old would love it. My daughter I think would do ok but not quite sure will have to research a bit and show her the website. Thanks again for the information.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Alpine ziplines are good fun -- very well-run company and a fun experience. I'd recommend it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mount washington and area attractions

Redrox & others,...

Would you concur that all things being equal, an early start up the Mtn is your best bet? My experience has been that the weather on the summit is usually "clearer" in the AM and then clouds up as the day goes on. Of course, it's variable on top of that, but I've started up the Mtn with a view of the summit, just to get to the top to find a "fog bank" at the last 200ft or so.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mount washington and area attractions

I think that is fair. But what the scarecrow said is pretty analogous.

Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.

Dorothy: Who said that?

[Toto barks at scarecrow]

Dorothy: Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk.

Scarecrow: [points other way] It's pleasant down that way, too.

Dorothy: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?

Scarecrow: [points both ways] Of course, some people do go both ways.

This way/that way-- early/ late. Just depends on the moment.

10. Re: mount washington and area attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:15