We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which trail

Connecticut
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which trail

We are a large group planning to hike to Lake of the Clouds hut for an overnight. My husband has done the hike twice with each kids and is excited about "sharing" this adventure with me. He understands the difficulty and issues that can arrive and we are all prepared to scrap the trip if the weather is not promising. In the past he has hiked the Ammonoosac Trail, but several people have recommended the Jewel Trail saying it is less difficult but much longer. We have been told that the additional length makes the 2 trails comparable. Do you have any thoughts?

This will be a first trip up for all of us except my husband. We have all been conditioning in preparation.

Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
169 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which trail

An overnight stay at LOC is amazing nd we'll worth the effort to get there. The top third of the amonoosucravine trail is very steep and demanding. However, there is no time limit on it, so if you jus take your time and rest as needed it should be fine. Jewell trail is another consideration, but if I were looking for the "easiest" way . to get to LOC, I would also throw in the Tuckermans ravine trail from pinkham notch. This too has a steep section through the ravine which is fairly exposed,but with great scenery, and when you get to the top of the ravine you cross over the alpine gardens to the hut.

If you have been training for the hike i would just go with the amonoosuc ravine and take your time as needed

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,751 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which trail

If you can arrange the car drops, go up Ammonoosac Ravine and down over Boot Spur to Pinkham Notch. Weather permitting you could add an assault on Washington or Monroe.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which trail

Thank you so much. Your information is very valuable. Traveler541, thanks for affirmation. Our first thought were to do the Ammonoosac but pictures of that top part were scary. Your advice is so correct, "there is NO time limit". We are starting for the lodge at the base and plan to be on the trail around 7AM. That DOES give us all day...we can do it.

And thank you too, RedRox. I am going to look into your suggestion about Pinkham Notch. We didn't even think about arranging for car drop offs. That adds another dimension to our planning. We do plan to go to 'Washington and hopefully, we'll be have enough energy for Monroe.

Thanks to both of you. Looking forward to our impending trip....weather for it looks promising (as of today!)

4. Re: Which trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Mount Washington