We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

climbing Mount Washington

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
climbing Mount Washington

Hi, I am going to hike Mount Washington in mid July. I have a few doubts to ask, hope someone can clear them for me.

1. how long does it take to hike up and down the summit? is it very difficult to make a round trip in one day?

2. where Can i get a good weather forecast for the Mount?

3. how about the huts trip people talk about? what is the price rate for the huts?

Edited: 11 June 2014, 08:05
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: climbing Mount Washington

if possible, can a 3 day huts travel route be suggested?

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: climbing Mount Washington

one more basic question: what should we bring if we want to do a hut to hut trip? like GPS? sweater? Knief? I had no experience in hiking more than a day, so i barely know any thing on preparation. thank anyone for helping me in advance.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: climbing Mount Washington

Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will answer this question in depth for you. Having said that....if you have as little experience hiking as you indicate... you should not be climbing one of the deadliest mountains in the northeast.

mountwashington.org/about/…hiking.php

outdoors.org/recreation/hiking/hiking-mtwash…

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: climbing Mount Washington

Here's your equipment list. Do not ignore it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials

Go buy a guide book and trail map for the mountain from the Appalachian Mountain Club.

Read this:

outdoors.org/recreation/hiking/hiking-mtwash…

Now, as KC has intimated, Mount Washington is not a casual walk in the woods. You should attempt it only if you have reasonably good weather, are in very good physical condition, and you are appropriately prepared. It is a full day experience.

The huts are a way to hike without carrying as much food for an overnight or multi-night trip. The AMC has plenty of information about hut-to-hut hiking. The huts are appropriately spaced for walking from one to the next in a day. They are also expensive and very popular. You need advance reservations.

For a one night hike, you might consider hiking to the Lakes of the Clouds hut, stay the night, go to the summit of Washington in the morning and hike back down. It's a pretty easy trail -- relatively speaking.

Multi-night hikes can be easily planned by selecting the number of nights you want on the trail, looking for reservations and going from there. Do note that you'll need to figure out how to get from your finish point back to your trailhead if you leave a car there. The AMC runs shuttles that you might investigate.

Washington is a great hike, but you really need to be prepared to make it safe and enjoyable. Have fun.

LMM

Edited: 11 June 2014, 13:04
NH
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: climbing Mount Washington

espedward, I would suggest that you blog with others who have experienced this mountain firsthand before you commit to this hike. As stated this is not a walk in the woods. Perhaps someone else (LMM?) can chime in: If you do get into trouble and require a rescue, you are responsible for the cost of that rescue, isn't that correct? For those of us who live in the area it is not uncommon to hear about climbers or hikers getting into serious trouble on this majestic peak. So often it is a simple case of inexperience and not being properly equip.

The weather on Mt. Washington can change in a flash. I recall a beautiful clear day when my DH and I rode to the summit on our motorcycle. We weren't there for 30 minutes when conditions deteriorated into a wet thick COLD blinding fog as a cloud settled over the top of the mountain.

Several of my friends are experienced NH hikers. Should you decide on a less challenging and less treacherous climb, there is no shortage of other peaks in the area to choose from.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 15:08
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
164 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: climbing Mount Washington

To specifically answer your questions, considert he following

1. how long does it take to hike up and down the summit? is it very difficult to make a round trip in one day?Shortest routes perhaps 4 to 6 hours to summit, and about 4+ hours down. This is providing you are in good condition, have decent weather and keep moving at a good pace. so 8-10 hours total is pretty fast...12 -16 hours is possible if bad weather or you are not in really excellent condition

2. where Can i get a good weather forecast for the Mount?

At AMC Pinkham Notch Base, The road tot he summit entry, or on the other side at the AMC Highland center. Be aware that the weather co0nditions on the summit can change VERY quickly from good to stormy in a very short time. THis is a serious mountain to hike !

3. how about the huts trip people talk about? what is the price rate for the huts?

The huts cost $101 per night for AMC members and I think it is about $10 dollers more per night for non members..This includes Dinner and breakfast. To hike MT Washingon you could stay at Madison Spring Hut, Lakes of the Clouds hut, then optionally Mizpah Spring hut or vice versa. This is for a 3 night hike that is a good workout and depend on good weather as much of it is above treeline and exposed. A good overnight is to hike to the summit and stay one night at Lakes of the clouds in ther way down

There are other hikes and huts to stay overnight that have great scenery and hiking, but are much more protected and easier hikes to get to the huts..

Carter Notch hut, zealand falls and lonesome lake are much easier to get to and cosiderably less risky if your experience is limited. Carter notch has spectacular views and is not usually as busy as the others

If other specific questions please dont hesitate to post or PM me...have hiked Mt washington and the whites for many years

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
164 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: climbing Mount Washington

If you stay at the huts, they will provide you with a hot dinner( all you can eat..and very tasty) as well as breakfast...THey will also provide a bunk, blankets and pillow, and will have toilets and running cold water in the bathrooms. At several of the huts there are lakes nearby and swimming is possible but will be cold.

If you are hiking in the White Mountains for a day or overnight in the huts you will need the "10 emergency items" which can be looked up..

but be sure to bring clothes that are NOT made of cotton...

Bring short and long pants (convertible are great), a fleece jacket, a hat, a rain shell and suitable hiking shoes...sneakers are not good

YOu will a lso need to bring 1 -2 liters of water..(I take 2 liters each in my family) (you can refill your water at the huts) and ther are plenty of streams, but if you take water out of a stream you MUST filter or sanitize it or you will probably get sick !!

Also bring several energy bars ....Most of the huts are about 3-4 hours hiking from the trailheads at the road, and usually about7 hours apart from each other..depending on the 2 specific huts and weather.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
152 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: climbing Mount Washington

I climbed it years ago when in high school. There were 15 or so of us. I am sure there are various trails, we were on the Bartlett side I believe. We headed up around 7:00 or so and were back in our cars around 5:00. We spent 45-60 minutes up top.

Last year we, wife and I, took the Cog up, that was fun.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: climbing Mount Washington

Mount Washington is very doable for at average hiker. But that means you need to be a hiker. Boulder loop trail and Lions Head are popular trails and are a full day hike. You should check into the Pinkham notch AMC center the night before or early on the morning you summit. There will be a lot of people hiking to the summit but that doesn't mean you will have friends along the way. their are lots of routes and people hike at different speeds.

You will not need a knife unless you think they look cool on your pack. But you should have long pants and a warm jacket to put on if the weather turns. Even on a clear sunny day the temp will drop 20 degrees on the summit and if you hit fag clouds or rain it can be hell if you don't have extra clothes. Then lots of water and lots of food. There are facilities at the summit so you can re supply before you trip down.

Hiking Boots vs Tennis Shoes? I like tennis Shoes at the lower levels but when you are at the top you have an hour or two on rocky trails above the tree line, then boots are great.

Have a great trip!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: climbing Mount Washington

If you've never hiked in the White Mountains, specifically the Presidential Range, and you have no more experience than day hiking, you don't belong on Mt Washington. People die there, most often from Exposure. That is when your body fails to protect itself from the extreme elements and weather than can change up there in a matter of minutes.

First rule of what to take: ALWAYS have a dry layer of clothing next to your skin. That can mean carrying 2-3 extra layers in your pack. And wearing 3 layers or more is often required, even during summer months. I've been there in July when it snowed. We sang Christmas Carols that night at Lakes of the Clouds. The people I know who have hiked the mountain in a single day on their first attempt were young and stupid. But even smart and experienced hikers can get in trouble on Mt Washington.

I think the OP is a candidate for a carriage tour on the auto road.