We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean drive from Nashua

Madison, WI
14 posts
Ocean drive from Nashua

Is there anything within an hour from Nashua along the ocean worth seeing? Have a work trip, and have some down time the first day I am there. Wondering if there are restaurants or sights worth seeing along the coast.

3 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Ocean drive from Nashua

Yes, drive over to Hampton Beach then go North Via Ocean Blvd. drive pass Rye, New Castle and stop and have a bite to eat in Porstmouth. If you have any additional time go over the bridge to Maine and go see Nubble Light. If you have additional time drive to Ogunquit (one of my favorite places) The Marginal Way is a recommended easy and enjoyable walk.

Enjoy!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Ocean drive from Nashua

Portsmouth by the fastest route is about an hour from Nashua, but it's worth taking a bit more time to do a drive like the one Remay suggests. Personally, instead of taking Route 101 all the way to the coast, I like to get off on Route 111 in Exeter and take a slower but pleasanter ride over through North Hampton to Little Boar's Head, then turn north on 1A. And to see New Castle, which you really should, get off on 1B. You're practically in Portsmouth at that point. Before you get to New Castle you'll pass Odiorne Point State Park, which makes for a nice stop to walk on the rocks, often see some big waves, investigate tidal pools, etc. Portsmouth itself is very much worth multiple prolonged visits.

Edited: 15 September 2011, 21:19
Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Ocean drive from Nashua

I don't know if it's too late to provide this information to you, trixie629, but I live in Nashua and I highly recommend making the 1 hour drive to Portsmouth to visit "Strawbery Banke Museum." This is an open-air village across the street from the ocean, which features homes from the 1600's and 1700's. Some are sitting on their original locations and others were brought in from different parts of Portsmouth in order to preserve them. Some homes host special demonstrations (such as blacksmithing, coopering, or cooking in the fireplace with original implements and authentic recipes) and some have costumed museum docents playing the roles of those who had lived in those homes. Portsmouth is also home to the USS Albacore Museum, the centerpiece of which is a WWII submarine that is open for touring.

Reply to: Ocean drive from Nashua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashua