We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cross country skiing in new hampshire

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
cross country skiing in new hampshire

My husband and I are thinking of going to Windblown for skiing at the end of December and take our dog with us. Does anybody know if it's a dog friendly area and dog can be taken on trails or not? I wasn't be able to find any information about yet. Also I'll greatly appreciate information about pet friendly lodging close to this area. Any recommendations, please?

Thanks in advance

9 replies to this topic
Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
573 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

Windblown is a very nice ski area...many of our guests speak glowingly of it. Unfortunately according to their website, dogs are not allowed on the trails (windblownxc.com/general-info/questions.html)

As for dog-friendly lodging in the area, I think Woodbound Inn in Rindge might allow dogs in their cabins but not sure those are open in the winter...you would have to call. There is also Jack Daniels Motor Inn in Peterborough which has a dog-friendly room.

There are plenty of other x-country trails in the area (not necessarily x-country centers) and you might be able to bring dogs there. If you want some ideas let me know.

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

Thank you so much for your respond. And I would absolutely love more ideas since we are new in it. (We used to ski a lot but in a different country and long time ago). Of cause it doesn't have to be Windblown, it's just I've heard about it. All your advices will be greatly appreciated.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

Golf courses are often good places to xc ski. But they are not always groomed. Thers is a golf course in Hanover that has groomed trails. It is maintained by the Dartmouth Outing Club. The club is located on a small pond near campus where there is skating when it freezes. They also rent skates and xc skis, or you can bring your own. There ismusually a nice bi fire going outside, too. Not sure if it will be open during vacation, but the ski trials should be accessible.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
573 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

I was thinking about Boston University Sargent Camp in Hancock. They also don't groom and you have to have your own gear but they have lots of trails.

Check out the VisitNH.gov site for listings: nhstateparks.org/experience/nordic-snowshoei…

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

Thank you. I will check it. Never thought what happen to golf courses in winter.

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

Thank you. It's a lot of information to think about and of cause I have to check about dog.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

You might want to check East Hill Farm in Troy, Shattuck Inn and Woodbound Inn, both in Jaffrey. These are all resort type places and may offer lodging and skiing. May even permit dogs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
8. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

The Shattuck golf course in Jaffrey is really pretty with views of Monadnock and would be a good place to cross country ski as long as you don't need groomed trails.

Enough snow for decent skiing is not a given in that area in late December by the way.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
584 posts
217 reviews
9. Re: cross country skiing in new hampshire

I would recommend Zeeland in Crawford notch in NH. We loved skiing with our lab there. You also have hundreds of XC trails in Jackson and Bartlett to ski with or with out your dog.

Reply to: cross country skiing in new hampshire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashua