We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

Hello,

I only have 4 days to hit South Maine area & NH. We are looking for back to school clothes, electronics... ie Wii games and generally cool stuff that we can't find in Canada.

I have heard a few things about Portland, Kittery, Freeport and North Conway...

Any suggestions as to what would best suit our needs on a very tight time schedule?

One more question- how long would it take to go fm Santa's Village to Portland Maine? Should I look for a hotel in North Conway ? Jefferson?

Thanks for any help

-sj

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

Kittery and North COnway are big outlet mall shopping. Certainly you'll find clothing there, but I don't know about Wii games. Besides, for clothing, you may do just as well at a large shopping mall. Penney's and other major department stores are copnstantly having sales, so the outlets may not be any greater bargain.

That said, I don't know enough about Freeport, but I think it is also an outlet shopping area. The big attraction there is L.L. Bean's main store. No bargains there, but there are L.L. Bean outlet stores all over the place, not just outlet centers, where there are great deals.

Portland will have a large shopping amll out by the airport. And, where there's a mall, there are usually the usual box stores - Target, Wal Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Linens and Things, Kohl's (clothing) and all the rest, including Circuit City and Best Buy for electronics. They would have Wii games, but prices may be better at Target and Wal Mart.

There is also a shopping mall and associated stores in Newington, NH just north of Portsmouth and across the border from Kittery. Shopping in NH is tax free. Conway area does not have the malls and boxes.

As for Santa's Village, I have never been there, but I wonder if it might be too young for your 10 year old. Perhaps someone else will srite in with better info on that. However, if you do go to Santa's Village, you could combine it with outlet shopping in North Conway. If that is the first stop on your trip, once you see what you don't get in the outlets, you'll be able to shop for in one of the mall areas - Portland, Kittery/Portsmouth/Newington, or even Concord, Manchester or Nashua NH.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

I agree that a 10-year old is really too old for Santa's village - I think that the rides are designed for younger kids. And at that age, you might have the first glimmers of "I'm too old/cool for kiddie stuff". Instead, you might prefer Attitash's mountain slides.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Like many folks I imagine, we went there as kids, and wanted to pass it on to her.... but you are prob correct- she might enjoy the water slides alot more.

great info on all the shopping too!

tks again

sj

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

I disagree that Santa's Village isn't for 10 year olds. It is a one hour drive from North Conway. It is inexpensive and kept quite clean.

We have been there numerous times with other families kids ages newborn - 14 and they all seem to love it. My sister's kids (twins - one boy and one girl) are both 9 and they had a blast there this year.

The boys also seem to love Six Gun City right down the street.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

PS: Attitash is up to $35 a ticket for anyone over 4 feet tall. My hubby took his kids while I was in Europe in July. He said they waited in line over an hour in the hot sun (no shade) to get the chairlift up for the 10 minute ride down.

Also when we were 15 or so my sister rode down and ignored the "slow" signs. Her sled ran off the track and she did a face plant on the concrete track and slid on her face for several feet. No emergency room but every part of her body incuding her face was scraped and bloody. 25+ years later she is still traumatized!!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

Re: Santa's Village , you know your kid. And, I don't know about adnil1962's family and friends and that situation. One thing is that it is easier for a 10 year old to find a place like Santa's VIllage cool if they are with a 6 year old. But on their own, you are on the age edge. Depends on your kid.

An alternative, if you are in the Portsmouth area and it is still summer or a hot day is Water Country, which is an awesome water park with all kinds of slides, etc. You will both have a great time together. Not inexpensive, but lots of fun.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

My 14 year old step-daughter is here for the weekend and she says that although she is too old for Santa's Village without younger kids to entertain she feels that her 11 year old sister would still love Santa's village especially since she still kind of thinks that there might possibily be a Santa (although she is very suspicious).

Agreed that it depends on the kid but 10 is still fairly young and would still enjoy lots of the things there like:

- Feeding the live reindeer,

- searching for the 25 or so "elves" to get their card stamped and win a prize,

- bumper cars,

- ferris wheel,

- the firetruck ride (my favorite!!) - described on the website as: A circular ride that has 2 options. The first option is riding in the firetruck. The second option consists of going up and down on the hydrolic lifts. The competition begins as points are gathered for the "fireperson" who gets the most water in the holes of the buildings

- The "humbug" ride where you shoot bugs with a laser for points as you ride through

- The flume log ride

- The roller coaster (small but big for a 10 year old)

- A short raft ride down a small water slide - really for smaller kids but the bigger kids all loved it

- Another favorite of all of us - decorate your own gingerbread cookie and then eat it!!

- There were other crafts too - a favorite was filling a vase with varios colors of sand and making your own candle

- Visit the blacksmith an he'll make you a cool ring out of an old fashioned nail (free)

- Of course you have to see Santa

- there's a train (similiar to the one at Stortyland)

- The 3-D movie was cute too (Nominated for Best Theme Park Production,Worldwide, by the International Associationof Amusement Parks and Attractions)

Check out the website at: http://www.santasvillage.com/index.html

Also read the testimonials page. Here is one from a 12 year old:

Dear Santa

I love Santa's Village so much! We went last weekend and I was so sad when we had to leave. I wear my ring that I got at the Reindeer Shoe Shop every day. I miss it there at Santa's Village, it is just so much fun there. When I was little we went every year in the summer, and then we started going every year in the winter. We stopped going for a few years because we didn't have enough money to keep our seasonal camp site so we could didn't go up to New Hampshire. My faveorite ride is the Yule Log Ride and I love to eat pizza from Nick's Pizza Emporium. I also like to make gingerbread people and sit in the cupcake seat and play the elfabet game. Well I really miss Santa's Village and can't wait to go next year!

Your Friend,

Jessica

age 12

8. Re: outlet shopping and Santa's Villiage w/10 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about North Conway